--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Lightgrw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The town desperately wants to hold on to its tourist past.

No Gary, it doesn't.  It desperately wants to be a great residential
community.

> Meanwhile, the beautiful images shown behind the Council each week
> are
> of Asbury's past and the images shown on the flag poles throughout
> town
> are of Asbury's past and the images used on the city's marketing
>is
> generally of Asbury's past.

We won't forget the past. We are smart enough to know the world has
changed so much that we have to move on.

> I still believe that the majority of the people voting in the
>past
> elections thought the redevelopment plan was a mix of tourism and
> residential.

You're underestimating Asbury Parkers.  I think they know what is
happening very well.  They may not know the height requirements of
each curb like you know who, but they know enough.

> There will be no new hotels, no new entertainment
> areas...

That's right, we are adding a new, different element.

> Tommy, you know I really admire you for your love of the town
>which is
> why I want to ask you this one question.  I know you are looking
> forwards to the day when Asbury Park is a nice, safe place to
>raise a
> family and live...  So my question is:
>
> Do you envision any of the nightclubs or bars that are currently
>in
> Asbury Park to be there when that vision is realized?

I think there will be nightclubs and entertainment.  I don't know if
it will be the ones that are there now.  Wonder Bar is my fav, and
if it goes I'll miss it.

I've said repeatedly you have to look at the rest of the County to
see that tourism in Monmouth, particulary the nightclub scene, is
long gone.

If you added up all the options I had when I was out (20 years ago)
and what singles have today, I had far more choices all over the
County.  Some of that decrease may be because of DUI laws, but
mostly it reflects that Monmouth is no longer the party destination
it used to be - Ocean and Atlantic Counties are.

Belmar is the best example.  20 years ago there was a ton of
nightclubs.  Now there is one.

Asbury's bar scene is different with slightly less options, but it
has been pretty stable.  I don't think it is going anywhere.

Now that I'm 43 and not 23, I must admit I don't judge towns by how
many nightclubs they have anymore.  Maybe after my kids are grown I
will again. :-)

Stone Pony will leave its spot, but will open elsewhere, but more
like a Hard Rock (sorry).  Then you will see Stone Pony New York,
Chicago, LA, etc. etc.

I don't think I agree with you that this Council harbors any ill
will toward The Saint.  They are a comparatively young group up
there.  I think the Saint will be fine.

> So, there you have it.  The very places that kept the town alive
>for a
> few decades when nothing else (but drugs) brought people to town
>will
> be removed so Asbury can morph into a nice, safe place to raise a
> family and live...  And then the people will probably move away
because
> they'll be nothing to do.

When Asbury is a nice safe place to raise a family is when I'll be
back.  I live in a town where, for adults, there is nothing to do
and I'm not moving.  I'm here because there is a TON of stuff to do
for the kids, which Asbury doesn't have.

So, yea, my agenda is to make a great, boring family town.

You think music kept the town alive?  That's a bit of stretch isn't
it? The City itself didn't make any scratch off of rock n' roll.  I
remember our Bocce Club, which brought 50 to 80 people to the Beach
3 nights each week used to say we were keeping the City going.
Hardly.

It is that 70% of City residents who bothered paying their taxes and
the State who gave us grants that kept the City going.