--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "wernerapnj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Let it go Werner. It is what it is and you and nobodyelse can change
it. So move on.

To paraphrase: 'If you tell a lie long enough, people will begin to
beleive it.'

> That Duany was the primary source of creating our Redevelopment
Plan is still being cited
> as a good reason to accept it without question. A good tactic from
a public relations view,
> but far from the truth.
>
> One needs to look at the factual history of the evolution of the
current Plan to determine
> what hapened. First the biggest lie needs to dispelled.  The lie
that the Plan was held up in
> bankruptcy court as a asset of Carabetta and subject to the powers
of the Court.

> It was the Redevloper Agreement between the City and Carabetta that
was held as an asset
> in the bankruptcy. That agreement was the contract that obligated
implimentation of the
> adopted land use and zoning in place at the time.
>
> A Redevopment Plan is the publicly adopted set of criteria that
sets forth land uses such as
> residentail, commercial, entertainment, etc. The Plan is "owned" by
the public and can not
> and was not held as an asset of Carabetta's.
>
> Redeveloper Agreement = Contract to perform = Held in Bankruptcy
> Redevelopment Plan = Land use and Zoning = The Local Law
>
> Whoever became the developer was obligated to build out what the
law specified.

> So what happened? The City settled the litigation with Carabetta
and agreed to transfer his
> rights (the contract) to Asbury Partners. That contract obligated
them to impliment the
> existing Plan because that is what was adopted and had the force of
law at that time.

> Instead the City entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
which was treated as
> a contract modification to settle the litigation. The MOU set forth
development criteria and
> land uses that were in violation of the existing adopted, legal
land uses. The MOU was,
> from that point on, treated as the "New Plan" upon which all
subsequent Plans were built.

> This is where the major error was made. A City can not devise
redevelopment plans by
> contract, it violates the public process established by the
Municipal Land Use Law.
> Changing land use and zoning to satisfy a prearranged contract is
illegal.

> That is how Asbury Park went from a mixed use resort,
entertainment, residential Plan
> (v1991) that was the Law at the time, to a primarily residential
Plan. The "Real Plan-1991"
> was ignored. The MOU (Settlement Agreement) was taken as the "New
Plan" and off
> everyone went to build a new Asbury Park.
>
> When the New Plan was publicized many residents and stake holders
voiced their concerns
> about the "New Asbury Park". Condos are nice but what about the
Palace, The Pony,
> Entertainment, Historic Landmarks, Public Lands, the Architecture,
etc etc ?

> Enter Duany - The City hires Duany to iron out all the details,
mediate, and create design
> standards. His quote diring the public presentation - '"this is
planning by contract"' --
> OUCH !!!
>
> In the end, land uses did not change, they still reflect the MOU,
Condos everywhere. We