So what was Francis Ford Coppola, doing?  He's Italian and this was
one in a series of Godfather Films, right?  Why did you insert "Step
and Fechit into your post?  I've NEVER seen one of those films, but I
have a copy of "Little Black Sambo" and Tar Baby.  I don't know about
you, man.  Sometimes I wonder....
You've been carefully taught, huh?

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> As you may know I have been a proponent of ridding our nation of
the
> last socially acceptable stereotype in Hollywood: The caricature of
> the Italian-American as either a conniving, cold killer who runs
> organized crime, or a grammatically-challenged dimwit who works for
> the guy who runs organized crime.
>
> Prior to the movie "The Godfather," Hollywood was balanced in their
> portrayal of mobsters in various ethnicities.  Pretty Boy Floyd,
> Baby Face Nelson, Dutch Shultz, Bonnie and Clyde, Meyer Lansky and
> Bugsy Segal were all in movies, and none were Italian (they were
> also real people, unlike Vito Corleone or Tony Soprano).
>
> Since the move "The Godfather," more than 400 feature length films
> have been made where mobsters are just Italian.  That list grows,
> and it doesn't include the larger number of TV show, radio and
> commercial Italian false caricatures.
>
> I note the UEZ passed along an advertisement by Paramount Theater
> for "Gumba Night."  I hoped it had something to do with Gumby or
> Chicken Gumbo.  I was saddened to find it was a misspelling of the
> word "Goombah" and used to describe a night of double feature
> Godfather movies (although I was happy to see that someone other
> than an Italian at Paramount Theater had proved the universality of
> the struggle with grammar).
>
> Goombah to Italians originally meant friend (although I must say,
> it's rarely ever used.  I've never walked into Jimmy's Restaurant
> and yelled Hey Goombah!).  However, it's in far more prevalent use
> today as a slur (even among Italians), conjuring up the stereotype
> described above.
>
> I know I am a long way from convincing people to frown on the
> showing of The Godfather as they would today frown upon the showing
> of the once popular Steppin' Fetchit movies (but I'm working on
it).
> Accordingly, I will not ask that Paramount not show it or the UEZ
> not promote it.
>
> However, "Goombah Night" is objectionable by today's standards. It
> sounds like an event.  I attend prideful events like the Italian
> American Festival, Italian American Heritage Festival and the
> Columbus Landing.
>
> How am I expected to attend a "Goombah" event?  Shall I appear
> casually in my velour running suit, zipper pulled down to the top
of
> my beer belly exposing my gold chains and just enough sprinkling of
> powdered sugar in my chest hair to confirm I've eaten my 6th
> sfogliatelle of the day?  Or should I come retro in trench coat,
> tilted fedora and violin case?  If that image is too scary, I'll
> just put on my vest, grind my organ and let my monkey dance for
> quarters.
>
> I know the UEZ has received an objection from another Italian
> American gentleman, and I'm fully aware that much of his was
> intended as a sarcastic swipe at me for my recent strong
disapproval