Typically when a repaving job is done from scratch - ie. not just one
layer but the road torn up and rebuilt - it requires several layers o
blacktop with the final being the most smooth.  The manholes would be
set at their final height and would stick up at this point.  There
are typically a few factors that might cause them to wait a bit
before putting the final layer on.  One is the construction, which
may be continuing to put stress on the road and thus they may be
waiting a bit before finishing.  The second might be the desire to
have the new road settle a bit before putting the final layer on.