On 12/9/2006 at 7:56:47 A.M.  Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

the use "Marshall Law" was  ill-advised but the focus of the
post was really about bringing on the  best posible talent to our
local police and having strict enforcement of  existing laws
including quality of life offenses.

I think you're referring to the concept of "Zero Tolerance" where  municipal
enforcement is applied to minor offenses such as jaywalking and  littering as
well as more serious crimes.  It's a tactic which has also  been adapted for
school systems in trouble.  I think it's synonymous with  the "broken window"
theory of law enforcement.  I remember its becoming  famous (or infamous)
during the Giuliani administration in NYC.  Lots of  pro/con info on the
internet.

========Original  Message========
    Subj: [AsburyPark] Re: An open letter...  Date: 12/9/2006 7:56:47 A.M.
Eastern Standard Time  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])   To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(mailto:AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com)
Sent on:

Personally I think you missed the point a bit of that post a bit - I
think the use "Marshall Law" was ill-advised but the focus of the
post  was really about bringing on the best posible talent to our
local police and  having strict enforcement of existing laws
including quality of life  offenses. I don't think the point was to
enforce curfews and suspending  personal freedoms as is the essence
of Marshall Law. My guess is that was  used more as a figure of
speech. The rest of the post below seems to be  reasonable.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com) ,
"2fine4u" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You want to  declare martial law, do you? It means that for those
of
> us who obey  the law, a curfew will be set, troops will be in our
> streets and almost  certainly, suspension of habeas corpus, denial
of
> council,  suspension of the constitution on people, that's YOU, who
> have done,  NOTHING! If you don't live in AP, shut UP! There are
> times, I have to  pick up my daughter, from the train station, after
> midnight, because she  attends classes in NYC. Who the hell are
YOU,

(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com) )

,
> > "asburycouple" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >  wrote:
> > >
> > > An open letter to this board and to  the City Council:
> > >
> > > Rome is burning right  here in Asbury Park, Let's stop talking
> > about BS and start >  doing something.
> > >
> > i totally agree rome is burning,  what is the answer? declare
marshall
> > law and call in the state  police to clean up this mess? not a
bad
> > beginning! I read  today we will be hiring more police officers,
> > while this will  raise our taxes i have no problem with that, i
only
> > ask no I  DEMAND one thing, HIRE THE BEST, screw the local
list ,
> > screw  the civil service list, open it to the county or state
list
> >  HIRE THE BEST, hire the ones who will enforce the laws, all
laws
>  > including quality of ilfe issues and not the ones who will turn
their
> > backs because they went to high school with someone, HIRE THE
BEST, i
> > expect to take some flack from this statement, and to  you asses
who
> > do not believe this could happen just go to the  library look up
the
> > articles, see the pictures of police  officers hired in the past
> > because the fix was in being taken out  in handcuffs, JUST HIRE
THE