A couple of months ago, I need to buy some shoes for a biz trip.
I have really weird, large and wide feet, so i shop for shoes in places that
specialize in that.
In Ocean Twp on 35 there's a store called Nahans, which is where my parents
bought me
my first pair of shoes that I can recall, and it amazes me that they are still
in business.
I had a nice conversation with the owner that day, and he was telling me how
hard it is
becoming to even get shoes from manufacturers to sell in his store, because
Walmart and
Target give manufacturers preferential treatment, which makes it hard for
people like him
to have things in stock. Stories like that make me sick.
I do agree that AP needs things with a recognizable name to attract shoppers.
On the
other hand, it sure would be great if some visionary came along and created
something
unique that attracts people on it's own merits.
In Red Bank, Funk and Standard has done a pretty good job of staying in
business. It
would be interesting to see if an Asbury Branch of that store would do well.
I still think that the key to Asbury's success lies with music and
entertainment. If Asbury
learned a little from places like Austin TX. and if Scott could make his WAVE
gathering
more like SXSW, I think Asbury would prosper.
Jack