Very funny story Sharon!

You are right -  Asbury has too many lights for good skywatching,
but if you are on the beach and look over the Ocean, you should get
a nice dark sky.

If my kids didn't have school tomorrow, I'd have them down on the
beach tonight to watch with a jug of hot chocolate.

Who knows - maybe I can talk my wife into it (she's the responisble
one).

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "2fine4u" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> JR:
> I have owned 4 telescopes, since becoming an amateur sky watcher.
The
> first one was a table top type, which my son, who is a little older
> than used to peer into our neighbor's dining room!  He set it up
for
> me, when we lived in the Hills of Neptune!  He phoned them from the
> kitchen wall phone and asked what were they eating, while he
laughed
> his head off!  I grabbed the phone from this silly boy and
apologized
> to my dear neighbors.  He was about 12 at the time.  Back when
there
> were no home computers, I joined the Astronomy Club at Bell Labs,
> having always been interested in Space due to the Moon Landing,
back
> in 1969.  There's so much out there to be learned and the
fascinating
> galaxy we live in, until the problems on the ground seem
immaterial,
> when you're gazing "out there"!  I belong to the Seti Program,
also,
> where I loan the use of my computer for science to "listen" for a
> reply from space by "others".  All you have to do to join is google
> "seti", sign up, that's all!  Your computer is used while you're
not
> using it.  It is not part of NASA.  I've always been interested in
Art
> and Science and my kids are just as curious.  My eldest lives in
> Florida, where he always takes off to go and see a lift-off, from
Cape
> Canaveral.  He is a programmer.  I always wind up "giving" my
> telescopes away, to either a school or a kid in need.  I'm looking
for
> a new one, now.  Saw one in the optometrists, office that rotates
and
> has all sorts of gizmos.  AP is not suitable for viewing.  Too many
> street lights.  Will view the shower on Nasa's website and thanks!
>
> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
> <justifiedright@> wrote:
> >
> > I know I took some ribbing last time I posted one of these, but
> > really am jealous of those of you that live so close to the
> > beachfront on nights like this.  Catch this one if you can - it
> > should be the best one of the year.
> >
> > This from Sky and Telescope:
> >

> > The Geminid meteor shower, possibly the year's best, should peak
> > late [Wednesday] in the moonless dark sky. The best time should
be
> > from about 10 p.m. until moonrise before dawn. Bundle up very
> > warmly, find a place with a wide-open sky view and no glary
lights,
> > lie back on the ground or in a reclining lawn chair, and watch
the
> > stars. The best direction to look is where your sky is darkest.
Give