> Sounds like there may be some play in the unions again. Area
certain
> contractors ....sounds like the cabretta saga. unions vs. non-
unions.

Clearly certain types of construction require union labor that have
the skills. I am not calling for a union monopoly, but in large-scale
development I think the quality is better.

The other night I was a meeting of the Counselors of Real Estate and
talking to an aquintance who is building huge projects in Dubai. They
are ultra-luxury high rises. I had seen a program on TV about the
working conditions of the workers, who are mostly from India. This is
real complicated construction. He indicated that the construction
managers are US and Western European firms and that they are building
this stuff for $100/sf. I assume most of the savings (in NY it would
cost around $600/sf) is labor. I think of what I tell clients when
they balk about my fees - you get what you pay for.