I wonder what would happen if there was another tribute to another moment in
Asbury
Musical history, when a salute is done to some of the 80's and beyond punk and
rock
bands that also performed in Asbury.
Many people either don't know, or forget that AP had clubs like The Hot Dog
House which
hosted a veritable who's who of punk bands that later went on to noteriaty.
And think back to the Fast Lane which hosted acts such as U2, Kiss, Psychedelic
Furs,
Smashing Pumpkins and hoards of others long before they were known widely.
Asbury also played host to a great number of local bands and musicians that
went on to
notable careers.
The bottom line is that part of what made Asbury great was it's musical
heritage.
Remember the WNEW concerts in the 70's/80's?
And the amazing shows at Convention Hall?
It blows my mind that the powers that be in Asbury don't have the foresight to
capitalize
on this heritage.
I've said this before, but take a look at Austin TX. Music tourism is huge
there, and without
it Austin would probably be just another Texas town, but these days they host
the biggest
musical event in America, SXSW. Many current musicians careers took off after
doing
shows there, and people like Tom Waits do shows at that festival that sell out
in seconds.
I truely believe that Asbury could also do something similar, but it seems like
the odds are
stacked against making music a viable draw to Asbury. It's too bad, because
it's the one
thread to the past that we still have.
Jack