I think this is a classic example of two people talking past each
other.  If you look at what he actually said, JK was never saying
that you should give a killer a basketball.  Per your note below you
were never saying that you were against activities.  You were
reacting to how to treat the specific individual responsible, Jim
was reacting to a higher-level cause/effect of youth violence.  You
are really both saying exactly the same thing - and I believe
personal feelings got in the way of actually listening to what each
other was saying...

Again, you both seem to agree on things more than you think when the
rhetoric dies down.  Wouldn't it be great if you, he, the rest of
the board, etc.., could sit down and actually find areas of
commonality rather than letting each others' personality conflicts
get in the way.  Perhaps we could actually get some things
accomplished.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A very well thought out and written piece you have here Dennis. I
> agree with 99% of it.
>
> I would like to point out that I have never said JK should not
have
> a Basketball program.  I just don't think it is an appropriate
> immediate response to a shooting.  All I've written has stated
that.

> I'm working with PAL Boxing in Asbury Park.  For whatever inherent
> good it will do, I would not see it as an appropriate response to
> shooting.  A shooter is a different person than the kid who will
> play basketball or box.
>
> By all means JK, have your Basketball program.  I'll even get in a
> couple of practice games and take JK to the hoop.
>
> Sports are inherently good.  Let's not pretend they cure what ails
> us though.
>

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Traderdube <traderdube@> wrote:
> >
> >  Tom, You wisely type a response to why this inane argument
begins
> > anew..." I don't think it is unreasonable to ponder the size of
> the problem
> > we face. In fact, it would be downright negligent to fail to
> consider
> > the size."
> >
> > And this is cold, uncompromisable truth.
> >
> > Anyone who wants to dispute your statement are doing so because
> they
> > want to pick a fight.
> >
> > What your failing to grasp here is the collective acknowledgment
> that
> > "we" agree.
> >
> > What you grasp in your  TCN JR  essay you wrote that called for
> some guy
> > named RICO :-) to head the daunting task of  curbing urban black
> > violence you fail to concede to this group.Back in the beginning
> of this
> > rather long winded and windmilling debate you went so far to
prove
> > point that you chided Councilman Keady for wanting to  get some
B-
> Ball
> > games going. Somehow this was always a polarized argument.
Either
> it is
> > this way, or it's wrong.
> >
> > Tom, I have bad news for you. Across our country there are lost
> > generations of black male and female youth. It is unknown what
can
> save
> > these kids.  They have no direction, no hope, no opportunities.
or