--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "asburycouple" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> But perhaps Werner you are more referring to the status as a major
> high-end tourist mecca - which end for AP in the 50's and for LB well
> before that if I'm not mistaken.

Exactly, And this points out the problem with most peoples
interpretations of what is significant about any particular community.

Most people rely only upon their own personal experiances and
recollections instead of considering the totality of the communities
role over history in the context of Americana.

That myopic vision leads to flawed conclusions about what a communities
assets and heritage are. Ignoring city planning and urban development
in the context of American cities is also a problem.

I've had many far too many debates with people whose idea of history
goes no farther than the 1970s vintage amusement rides on the
beachfront. Most people alive just remember a honky-tonk amusement park
and think of that when trying to discuss restoration and preservation.

Werner