Clurfield, sounds like a snob, who considers herself, "slumming"!  I
satnd by my review, that "Market", is New Orleans', Decatur
Street-EAST!  So I was there, for lunch and it was quiet and serene,
with very soft jazz, emanating from Sirius, Radio.  Everything was
CLEAN, I was seated across from the bar, where I could survey
everything!  Too bad, the APP, picked, the evening hour, when they are
super busy, with no time to really sit and talk, when they are a
qazillion customers, waiting!  What did "Miss Queen for a Day",
expect? Note: "Queen For A Day", was a popular game show, back in the
late 50's and mid-60's, where ordinary housewives, got a new washer
and dryer, bedroom suite or living room.  It was The Price is
Right/Let's Make a Deal/Oprah, of its' day. Anyway, I LOVE the Place!

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Hinge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Below is the review of Market in the Middle from the Press.
> Personally, I love Market in the Middle. It's one of the  best
things to happen in AP in ages.
> I go there several times a week. The people who work there are
great. I love the eclectic
> blend of things they sell. I've never eaten at the restaraunt, but
i've heard nothing but
> good things about it. If I ever decide to enter the dating world
again, Market in the Middle
> will be one of the first places I take a date to.
> Now here's the BS review...
> "It's a madhouse at the entrance to Market in the Middle. When did
the world start
> congregating on Cookman Avenue in Asbury Park? There's overflow onto
the sidewalk,
> where folks are bravely dining in the chill. I square my shoulders
and walk inside.

> We have reservations, thank goodness. Spur-of-the-moment types are
being told the wait
> is two hours. There's no room at the bar and no room to gather
around the helter-skelter
> layout of tables and shelves. I'm relieved when we're seated, even
though it's at an
> awkwardly positioned table, with racks sporting kitchenware for sale
inches from my head.
> I'm afraid to move, afraid I'll topple a display, and the poor floor
crew can't help but bump
> into the backs of our chairs as they try to maneuver. Do they ever
say "sorry" or "excuse
> me"? I'm not sure; the noise level is too high to hear the person
next to me, let alone a
> server ricocheting by.
>
> Market in the Middle, for all its deliberate casualness, is not a
place to relax. The odd
> layout, with its mix of bunched-up tables and for-sale merchandise,
doesn't allow for a
> sense of convivial community. If you're seated in the market part of
this bistro-tavern-
> store, you may feel like an afterthought; if you're at a table
astride the bar, you may feel
> shoved in.
>
> A half hour after being seated, I'm feeling put out: We've ordered a
well-priced prosecco
> from the wine list, but a different prosecco is presented. I inspect
it, register it as
> something likely higher in price than I wish to spend, and ask if
the prosecco ordered
> could be delivered. Several minutes lapse; the desired prosecco
arrives. But the bottle is
> room temp; sparkling wine needs to be served chilled. There's
another wait. Market in the
> Middle's wine guru arrives, pushing a Portuguese bubbly. Or perhaps,
the guru says,
> "Maybe you want a sweet wine?" I reconsider the wine list, order a
Spanish cava, and get
> shaken off again, like a pitcher rejecting a catcher's call.
>
> OK, I'll cut to the chase: The wine fridge was on the fritz, so
nothing I want is going to be
> available at the proper temperature. The deal is we take the
Portuguese bubbly or — well,
> we never really learn the options. Which should have been explained
to us from the get-
> go.
>
> We go with the Portuguese sparkler. Nice, no cigar.
>
> Nor can I give a tout to the eclectic menu and the scattershot
service at Market in the
> Middle, the brainchild of veteran restaurateur Marilyn Schlossbach.
The menu covers the
> global waterfront of cuisines, and the wait staff runs from end to
end of the hither-and-
> yon space. No one person was in charge of our table, and it showed:
no water refills, no