--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Allan Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

You might hear something about Asbury before that maybe days.

In the press today a story about school waste.  At the end it says
other schools will be looked at in the spring.  Will be interesting
to see what is found in Asbury.

> Misspent funds cited in 4 Abbott districts
> Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 01/31/07
> BY GREGORY J. VOLPE
> GANNETT STATE BUREAU
>  Post Comment
> TRENTON — Four of the state's poorest school districts spend money
with little in-house oversight and controls, according to audits
released Tuesday by the state Department of Education.
> As a result of a state Supreme Court order last May, the state
audited Camden and the three state-operated districts, Jersey City,
Newark and Paterson. Education Commissioner Lucille E. Davy said
Camden and Paterson "present the most difficult challenges" and
promised more oversight from state government.
> "We must ensure that the state resources are being spent to meet
students' educational needs and not to serve other purposes," Davy
said. "There are too many errors and too many holes in most of these
district operations resulting in too many opportunities for
questionable activity."
> In "desk reviews" of a random sample of recent purchase orders,
auditors said there wasn't enough documentation to know if spending
was reasonable for $13 million in Camden, $1 million in Paterson,
$558,000 in Jersey City and $446,000 in Newark.
> Other more specific findings include:
> Camden spent more than $330,000 in payroll to employees who had
been dead for years. Six employees had termination dates that were
two to 30 years after they died. Newark also spent $310,000 in
payroll to 28 dead employees.
> A Paterson custodian more than doubled his $45,000 salary in
overtime.
> $29,995 was spent on Newark Schools Superintendent Marion Bolden's
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, a 4-by-4 with leather interior and
navigation screen. The district responded it was provided according
to the state-appointed superintendent's contract.
> A $22,600 Volkswagen Passat with leather interior was provided
former Camden Schools Superintendent Annette Knox.
> Double-paying of 25 athletic game staff employees in Camden $6,500
for the same event.
> $2,385 was spent for a Jersey City administrator to attend the
Oxford Roundtable in England.
> $1,795 went for a jukebox purchased in Newark by Bolden, who
responded it was bought from a vendor who didn't accept purchase
orders.
> State Sen. Ellen Karcher, D-Monmouth, reacted sharply to the audit
findings, saying in a prepared release that the failure by some
school officials to account for much of the funds spent should
trigger a higher level of scrutiny of Abbott district spending.
> "At a time when legislators in Trenton are trying to trim the size
of government and maximize efficiencies in state and local services,
we need to crack down, hard, on those Abbott officials who, whether
through incompetence or intentional fraud, have cost taxpayers across
the state thousands, if not millions," Karcher said.
> She also said she will push for the state to recover money that was
misspent and wants the attorney general to go after those guilty of
corruption and malfeasance.
> David Sciarra, executive director of the Education Law Center, a
watchdog group that has fought for more funding for schools in poorer
towns, called for a review of the state education department.
> "It's time that we shine the spotlight on the state, on the
department, to make sure that whatever problems these audits have
unearthed, the department follows through and makes sure they're
corrected," Sciarra said.
> All four districts offered written responses to auditors with
varying degrees of explanation.
> Camden said its new administrator — as of Jan. 2 — didn't have
enough time to study the report. Paterson said some reforms have
already been implemented and more are on the way.
> Jersey City blamed auditors for not interacting with school
personnel before issuing the criticism.
> Newark objected to auditors calling some of their expenses
questionable.
> Davy said each district will be asked to develop a plan to correct
deficiencies found in the audits. Audits for the state's other 27
Abbott districts will be audited this spring.

> Be a PS3 game guru.
Yahoo! Games.