There are a lot of factors that have to be weighed when looking at
why these students are not getting the grades or passing the tests.
I also had the information drilled in my head as a child as well as
made to study and memorize.  It's a lot different today with what a
teacher can and can not do.  What was done to us years ago by either
a nun or teacher would be considered Corporal Punishment at the least
today.  Not to mention the fact that today, when a student is
disciplined, there is no backing from the administration.  You have
extremely dedicated staff in all the schools in Asbury Park.
Unfortunately, the district is hemorrhaging with a major loss of
staff each year because of the complete lack of consistency in the
schools and Central Office.  There were 17 people on the agenda last
month that retired as well as 5 that resigned.  It's only February
and that was only one month.  I didn't count the ones who put in
papers prior to January.

There is a lot more going on here than anyone reading really knows.
I have seen things that completely disturb me.  There has been a
falsification of a state document for reporting the enrollment
figures of the students in the High School.  Has anyone been fired or
at least suspended?  No way.  But if a teacher did it, you bet there
would have been brought up on tenure charges.  Three gigantic bags of
public school documents were shredded in August.  The "three" bags
were recovered and turned over to the state police.  Has anyone been
fired, suspended, or asked if they like the color orange?  No way.
If a teacher or support staff member did this, I bet they would be in
jail. The audit report is a joke.  23 recommendations.  Unreal!
Computers that never made it to the district, supplies that were
double vouchered, athletic supplies that didn't seem to make it here
either and of course, the bid process.

I could go on and on with the absolute mismanagement and as Frank
says, "sweeping it under the rug".  Frank is 100% right.  But he is
only one voice of 9.  Call him up, he'll fill you in.  I beg you to
get involved with this Board of Education.  I invite anyone in to the
schools to see exactly what is going on.  I invite you to the Board
meeting tomorrow night to witness firsthand what goes on.  You will
also see tomorrow night that the High School staff has had enough of
the mismanagement at their level.

As for the Union not allowing the change of benefits, it was never
brought to the union for discussion.  This may be being discussed by
one person who wants to unilaterally change these benefits, however,
there should be a discussion.  I would welcome the discussion.  But
the union needs to be asked, not have it jammed down their throat.

In closing, until you have consistent administration, this district
can never fully recover.  Your high school principal is leaving, the
Middle school principal is only an "acting" principal.  And she has
an "interim" vice principal to help her.  So two of the
administrators are not even permanent.  There is no administrator at
the Alternative Middle School because he resigned.  So that building
is chaos.  And let's not forget, we still have an "acting"
superintendent and "interim" director of curriculum.  It's like
steering a ship through the ice fields and no one is on the
bridge.

 -- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Research shows that good readers come from families where the
family reads and talks to them when they are toddlers( builds their
vocabulary and listening skills), have invigorating discussions at
the dinner table (promotes higher order thinking skills), does not
talk down to their kids but includes them in the decision making
processes and asks for their opinions. (builds their self esteem).
When children are taught to respect teachers at an early age, it will
have a positive impact on their learning.  If parents would ask to
see their children's homework and ask them what they learned in
school today, it would also foster their learning.  If parents would
value education more, and instill that upon their children, then it
will boost their self confidence and the learning process.  So you
can see the importance of parental involvement in fostering their
child's love of learning.

New
> > > condos won't be paying any schools tax.
> > > Anybody got any ideas?
> > > Maureen
> > >
> > not knowing their budget it would be impossible for us to say,
what
> > areas can be cut without effecting the students, hopefully the 9
who
> > got us in this mess are already working on different options, so
when
> > the bill comes they are prepared, i would suggest top
administrators,
> > lawyers fees, changing health carriers could provide between 300
and
> > 500 thoudsand in savings, but the union doesnt want to switch, oh
> > forgot they are not suppose to be running the district, switching
> > carriers is perfectly legal, has been done in the past, the key
is
> > you have to provide the same insurance package you are already
> > providing "equal to or better" , eliminating bd. members trips,,
> > what ever, the key is they should already be working on this, all
it
> > would take is the bd to direct the staff to start working on
> > alternate plans,this was also done in the past by proactive not
> > reactive bds. the more preparation the easier the blow when it
does
> > happen, and it will, so dont waste lawyers fees on appealing it
> > something they also did. your right new condos wont be paying
school
> > taxes, but that is a totally different story, i hope you are not
> > trying to blame that for the problem the bd. got themselves into.
> > boy that would be totally mixing apples and oranges, 80 million $
> > budget 18 probaly closer to 20 thousand per child since the
> > enrollment numbers were fabricated, terrible test results, do not
> > blame these on future codos, and the tax structure. no one in
their
> > right mind could even suggest that.

__
> Check out the new AOL.  Most comprehensive set of free safety and
across the web, free AOL Mail and more.