In reference to Tommy's  post:

With over 80 non-profits and 39 churches

Finally, some hard numbers!   Thank you.  Is there some  place where these
119 tax-exempts are listed by name and address?

all helping the poor,  .....

The skeptic in me wonders how many of these are legit as opposed to Elmer
Gantry spin offs, ripping off everyone, the poor and the taxpayers.   Does the
city, or anyone, monitor these non-profits and their credentials.

_http://www.charitynavigator.org/_ (http://www.charitynavigator.org/)    does
an admirable job, but I suspect many bogus "non-profits" are clever enough
to remain under everyone's radar.