Just wondering if our board of education has money budgeted to bring
speakers like Tavis to speak and inspire our students.
=============================
For Tavis Smiley, Promises to  Keep

February 15, 2007

One of the better-kept secrets in the U.S. is the  wide reach  and
extraordinary commitment of Tavis Smiley.

Mr. Smiley is reasonably well known as a media  personality. He’s the  host
of  a television talk show broadcast on PBS five nights  a week  and a weekly
radio show. He’s also a regular commentator on the widely  syndicated
black-oriented radio program “The Tom Joyner  Morning  Show.”

But that doesn't begin to capture the ever-widening swirl of  activities,
projects, programs and initiatives set in motion by  this  energetic,
fast-talking, charismatic advocate and mentor, described by The  Times’s
Felicia R. Lee
as  “a cultural phenomenon.”

Largely out of the sight of the broader public, Mr. Smiley has quietly
become one of the most effective black leaders in the  nation. He’s always  in
motion, giving speeches, meeting with national  leaders,  conducting annual
seminars  on the “State of the Black Union” and  offering  how-to tips on
important  aspects of daily life for  African-Americans.

Mr. Smiley constantly exhorts his followers and  admirers to make  better use
 of the traditional tools of advancement - education, hard work,  citizen
activism - to transcend the barriers of continued  neglect and  discrimination.

Next June, thanks to Mr. Smiley, the major  presidential candidates  will
meet in a pair of prime-time debates on PBS - one for each party - to focus  on

issues of concern to African-American voters. That  has never  happened
before.

About a year ago Mr. Smiley, who has written several books, edited a
paperback titled “The Covenant With Black America.“  It’s a guidebook, on
matters
large and small, for African-Americans, offering information and  advice on
issues that range from the importance of a healthy diet to closing the  digital
divide.

No one, except perhaps Mr. Smiley, expected much  from the book.  There’s
nothing in the way of pizzazz in it. There are no celebrity  scandals, no
sex, no
drugs, no rock ‘n’ roll.  “I said let’s put a book  together that’s easy
to read,“ said Mr. Smiley, “and that lays out what  each individual can do,
what the community together can
do and what the body  politic should do about these  problems.”

Published by a little-known black-owned company in Chicago, Third World
Press, the book became an astonishing success,  rising to No. 1 on the New
York
Times best-seller list.

“That book went to No. 1 without any mainstream exposure,” said Mr. Smiley.
“I didn't mention it on my NPR and PBS shows  because I don't do that - I
don't use the shows to promote things that I'm  connected to. Other than  that,

though, I drove the book as hard as I could.

“But Oprah wouldn't touch it. “The Today  Show”  wouldn't   touch it. “Good
 Morning America,” NPR, Larry King - not a single   mainstream media outlet
said  or did anything with that book. And it still  went  to No. 1. That tells
me  that there is a hunger and a thirst in  black  America for trying to turn
this   mess that we are in  around.”

For all of his 21st-century media savvy, Mr. Smiley is in many ways  an
old-fashioned, idealistic leader who has managed in  an era  saturated with
cynicism   to cling to the eternal verities. His hero  is Dr.  Martin Luther
King
Jr. He believes it is still possible for  ordinary citizens  to hold public
officials   accountable. (“I'm  still baffled, befuddled,“ he says, “by how the

president did not even  mention New Orleans or  Katrina in his State of the
Union  speech.”)  He speaks openly about the importance of  bringing love  -
yes,  love  -   into the public discourse.

“When I was 13,“ he said, “I vowed to God that if I ever got the chance to
make something of myself, I'd spend the rest of my life trying to love  and
serve other people. I still believe that love is the most powerful  and
transformative force in the world today. I love  people and  I get joy out of
serving people.”

The cynics, of course, will have a field day with this. But Mr. Smiley,  on
his way to catch a flight, or hop a train, or racing down the highway  to his
next event, will no doubt be too busy to notice.  He’s eager  to do what he
can  about the sorry state of the public schools in the big  cities, and the
fact   that there are too few jobs that pay a living  wage, and all manner of
other  issues: child care, health care, the  environment.

He is trying to do nothing less than generate a  movement among  black
Americans that will “help make all of America better.”

The companion volume to “The Covenant” was  published two weeks ago.  It’s
called  “the  Covenant in Action.”

_For  Tavis Smiley, Promises to Keep - New York Times_
(http://select.nytimes.com/2007/02/15/opinion/15herbert.html?n=Top/Opinion/Editorials%20and%20Op-Ed/O
p-Ed/Columnists/Bob%20Herbert)