--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Allan Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I wonder who made the demand.  I think the city holds more
responsibility in this.  Partners brought a business to the
boardwalk.  If the city demamded him to close that is not the
responsibility of partners.  The counsilman should not be annoyed
that there is a bike shop on the boradwalk but the real question is
why is there so little pollice / security on the boardwalk.  I do
not know what partners has to provide but the city should have
police in addition.    I see it as the city driving away a business.

Allan, The City is responsible for what goes on ON the Boardwalk, it
is still public property. I believe AP Partners was providing a
few "security" type folks for show, however they do not have Police
Powers.

As to the "biking". City ordinance controls the hours of biking on
the boards. The problem was one of non-enforcement and selective
enforcement.

As to allowing a bike shop on the Boardwalk. Clearly not a good idea
since the legal biking hours would curtail business. In the larger
picture, pedestrians, beachfront activities and biking are not
compatible. (thats the reason for the restricted hours)

As to bike-lanes. Bike lanes could and should have been DESIGNED
into the infrastructure plan of the beachfront. Along Ocean Ave
between the pedestrian walkway and the vehicular ways. That was not
done.

Putting bikeways in the roadway is asking for problems. Putting
bikeways behind diagonally parked vehicles is prohibited due to the
increased dangers.

This whole issue of biking, bikeways and boardwalk-biking is due to,
again, a lack of appropriate PLANNING.

Werner