Hi Group Members,
    If there are any fans of really old (and I mean REALLY old)
movies---at 4 PM Sunday at the Stephen Crane House, 508 Fourth Ave.)
we're screening the 1938 MGM Technicolor film "Sweethearts" with
Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy.  It's not available yet on DVD,
but I have a passable VHS copy.  It's fun because it was co-scripted
by Dorothy Parker, who turned a nicely corny Victor Herbert operetta
from 1911 into a semi-screwball 1938 vintage comedy.  One of only two
of the great duets' films to be photographed in Technicolor (for
which it won an Oscar--yes, tomorrow is Oscar night), it costars two
folks who would team up the following year in a film near and dear to
all our hearts: Frank Morgan (the Wizard himself) and Ray Bolger (who
wanted so much to have a brain).  Hopefully the weather will hold
out, and after coffee, tea, etc., we'll be home in time for Ellen!
Sunday also just happens to be the Great Caruso's 134th birthday, so
we'll have some birthday cake, too.  Alas, poor Enrico entered the
heavenly choir seven years before there were any Academy Awards
(although, believe it or not, he made a couple of silent--what was
the point of that? short subjects)!  Anyone interested is more than
welcome.
                                   Frank D'Alessandro
                                   6th Ave.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM