Denise,

As I understand the No Child Left Behind Act, there are situations
where a child has the right to elect another school.  In addition to
performance, another is if they suffer an act of bullying.

Usually it is to another school within a district.  So if a child
wants to switch from Bangs Avenue School to Thurgood Marshall, he
can.

The problem arises when there is no other school in the district,
like the Middle School or High School.

Under NCLB Act, Asbury Park is supposed to have an inter-district
agreement with another town.  Those are voluntary though, so you can
not force the other district to enter one.

Anyone care to wager that our Board of Education has not even
inquired of another district to make such an arrangement?  Anyone?

When there is no such inter-district agreement, the child is
supposed to be offered other alternatives, such as intensive
tutoring and home-schooling.

As to your other question, I believe your child can audition for Red
Bank Regional's music program.  If you live in AP, I don't thing
your school has administrators to help the child like the other
schools do.

Oakdorf mention that Red Bank Regional is not great school.  It
isn't if you look at the school report card.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Denise" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If a child attends a Title I school that has been designated by
the
> state to be in need of improvement or unsafe, parents can choose
> send the child to another public school. Districts must let
parents
> know each year if their child is eligible to transfer to another
> school, and districts must give parents at least two transfer
schools
> to choose from. Additionally districts must pay for students'
> transportation costs, giving priority to low-income, low-achieving
> students if there are not enough funds available to pay for all
> students.
>
> At the last board meeting when a parent asked about sending their
> child to another school based on the No child left behind act.
>
> As quoted by the commissioner
> "The Dept. of Education can not force other school district to
take
> on students from Asbury Park it has to be by choice of the other
> school district"
>
> So if what your saying about the students from Avon and the
various
> other towns in the AP district is true.  If my child was in AP
High

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM