No shelters for the homeless in AP? Get real.

All of the Federally subsidized housing (Lincoln Village, etc)
houses people who have no home.

Why are we forgetting Section 8?  I can show you examples of them
paying as much as $1,800.00 monthly (more than many peoples'
mortgages).  That is also housing for the homeless.

Don't let the Market Street Mission people and supporters get away
with the argument that we don't house the homeless.

Asbury Park is the one town in the County that does, and these
people won't even give us credit for it.

There is no way I'm letting anyone look down their noses at us on a
moral issue when we do more on the moral issue than any other place.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Fred" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> > etc., are over-inflated, to make your argument, credible.  You
are
> > using ficticious numbers in all instances to make your argument,
> when
> > the reality, is quite different!  Please list me 2 agencies that
> > house and help the poor; just 2 and I will lower my tone!  I
> haven't
> > heard one word, in favor of the Mission, because you are so bent
on
> > having it YOUR way and discrediting the head of the Mission and
> using
> > city resources, to make their presence here, untenable.  That'a
all
> > have to say of the unchristianlike attitude, of a small group,
that
> > want parity when it comes to their life issues and inequality,
for
> > all others!
> >
> > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "paulvail1964" <vailpj@>
wrote:

> > > (Not exactly as I wrote it but this op ed piece appeared in
> > > Morristown's local paper, home of the market street mission.)
> > >
> > > Asbury Park does not want this shelter
> > > Community is struggling to get back on feet as is
> > >
> > > BY PAUL VAIL
> > > Friday, March 2, 2007
> > >
> > > The Market Street Mission of Morristown is trying to open a
> branch
> > in
> > > Asbury Park.
> > >
> > > From where I sit, this would be a homeless shelter, drug and
> > alcohol
> > > treatment center, soup kitchen and used-car facility in the
heart
> > of
> > > Asbury Park, a seaside community struggling to come back after
> > almost
> > > 40 years of serious decline.
> > >
> > > Our city already hosts numerous tax-exempt charitable
> institutions
> > > that serve our disenfranchised residents and people from the
> > > surrounding area.
> > >
> > > Our city does more than its fair share in this regard.
> > >
> > > We cannot afford to allow the mission to operate a facility
that
> > will
> > > bring almost 900 additional homeless and/or addicted men from
all
> > > over New Jersey to Asbury Park every year. Our city zoning
board
> > > initially rejected the mission's variance application to set
up
> > > operations here.
> > >
> > > The mission appealed on a technicality and won.
> > >
> > > Stand Up For Asbury, a group of concerned citizens, appealed
this
> > > reversal. Rather than face Stand Up For Asbury in state
superior
> > > court, the mission signed a consent order allowing the matter
> > > return to our zoning board.
> > >
> > > During the first hearing conducted last month, the city of
Asbury
> > > Park learned that the Market Street Mission is not licensed by
> the
> > > state of New Jersey to treat drug and alcohol addiction, nor
is
> it
> > > licensed to sell automobiles.
> > >
> > > The mission never brought this to the attention of our zoning
> board
> > > when it first petitioned for variances.
> > >
> > > Zoning board hearings on this matter will continue next month.
> > >
> > > Disregarding the advice of the superior court judge in
Freehold,
> > the
> > > mission scrambled to open its doors in Asbury Park a few weeks
> > before
> > > our zoning board could begin its hearing on the matter.
> > >
> > > Our fire department had to shut the mission down last week
after
> an
> > > inspection revealed that the shelter had no fire-preventing
> > sprinkler
> > > system in its dormitory.
> > >
> > > It is apparent that the Market Street Mission holds the people
of
> > > Asbury Park, its zoning board, state Superior Court and
minimum
> > state
> > > safety codes in contempt.
> > >
> > > Stand Up For Asbury cannot allow the mission to steamroll its
way
> > > into our city.
> > >
> > > The people of Asbury Park have fought hard to bring this city
> back
> > > from the abyss and we still have a long way to go.
> > >
> > > Our city cannot afford to take on the additional burden of the
> > > thousands of ex-cons, pedophiles, alcoholics and drug addicts
> from
> > > all over New Jersey that the mission intends to bring to our
home
> > > year after year.
> > >
> > > Editor's Note: The Market Street Mission declined an
opportunity

http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM