"In theory you are correct, a 5 MPH limit.  But, unfortunately, people
don't play by the rules.  Most will speed recklessly and cause much
anxiety for those walking on the boardwalk."

I tend to disagree with this. I think there are many responsible
cyclists, but on the other hand, I don't think that kids are learning
how to be good cyclists anymore, and I don't think that our country in
general takes bicycling seriously the way it is in Europe. Every day,
I see kids riding against the traffic, which is horrible. When a kid
rides against traffic, he or she isn't realizing that when people pull
out from driveways or side streets, they often don't look to the
right, rather they look to the left to see if there is anybody heading
in their direction in the road.
I also think that if AP did have a dedicated bike lane, and made an
attempt to educate the users on the rules, you'd actually teach people
something good as well as give them a good safe place to ride.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM