Our municipal judge, Mark Apostolou, is due to be reappointed by the
city council within a few weeks.  I have never been too impressed by
this judge's performance and I personally believe that Asbury Park
can do better.

Judge Apostolou works for seven other cities in the region and rakes
in big money.  Asbury faces a lot of challenges and I think we need a
Judge that can dedicate himself to our city.  (see article below)

The Asbury Park Police are busting their humps to make Asbury Park a
safer place to live.  We need a judge that shares their commitment to
this city.

There is a city council meeting this Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. I think
it would be a good idea if more people would speak to the council
members about this issue.  Asbury Park can do better and must.

If you cannot attend this meeting, I urge you to write or email the
city council members and let them know what you think.  I would hate
to see this judge reappointed before the council can consider
alternatives.

If anyone has the email address of the different council members, I
would appreciate it if someone would post them so that more people
can make themselves heard.

(By the way this has nothing to do with Stand Up For Asbury!!!)

Paul Vail
511 Second

Part-time jobs add up to big payouts
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 10/11/06
BY NICHOLAS CLUNN
GANNETT NEW JERSEY

(Excerpt)

Asbury Park City Manager Terrance Reidy said he was surprised when he
found out that the city's municipal court judge, Mark Apostolou,
works in seven other towns and makes a total of $264,000 in
government salaries.

Apostolou also works as the municipal judge in Bradley Beach,
Brielle, Deal, Eatontown, Lake Como, Manasquan and Neptune City. The
number of Apostolou's jobs, however, didn't change Reidy's high
opinion of the judge's performance in Asbury Park.

"If the system allows that to happen, and he puts in the time, then
God bless him," he said. "It's not like he forgets, "Where am I
today? In Asbury Park or in Bradley Beach?' "

The Gannett review also found that many of the biggest tackers are
political players who obtained their appointments as a result of
close ties with top elected officials.

Sunday, May 8, 2005
By NICHOLAS CLUNN
Gannett New Jersey

Damien G. Murray's salaries from eight municipal judgeships will
total $268,284 this year - a paycheck that will easily exceed those
of the chief justice of the United States, U.S. senators and New
Jersey's governor.

Murray's collective salary - earned by ruling on drunken-driving
charges, parking ticket appeals and other matters in Beachwood, Dover
Township, Lacey, Lakehurst, Little Egg Harbor Township, Ocean Gate,
Seaside Heights and Stafford Township - likely will provide the 55-
year-old Dover Township resident with a comfortable pension.

If Murray, a municipal court judge since 1981, retires when he turns
60, and if his collective salary this year ends up his highest, he
will earn an annual pension somewhere around $141,000, among the most
lucrative of those enrolled in the state's Public Employee Retirement
System.
Murray's judgeships show how "tacking" can result in huge pensions.
Tacking happens when multiple public-salaried jobs are added together
to form one huge salary.

Murray - a 55-year-old private-practice lawyer from Dover Township
and a former Ocean County freeholder - is not alone in this practice.
A number of private-practice lawyers in Monmouth and Ocean counties
will obtain big pensions through municipal judgeships.

Mark Apostolou, who holds court in eight Monmouth County
municipalities, would get an annual pension of $130,000 if his salary
this year of $264,000 is his highest and if he retires when he turns
60.

Apostolou, a municipal court judge since 1987, works in Asbury Park,
Bradley Beach, Brielle, Deal, Eatontown, Lake Como, Manasquan and
Neptune City.
Meanwhile, acting Gov. Richard J. Codey is paid $175,000; although he
is also state Senate president, he does not accept the salary for
that post. New Jersey Chief Supreme Court Justice Deborah Poritz is
paid $164,250, and U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist
gets $203,000. U.S senators, meanwhile, are paid $162,100.
 Like New Jersey's pension system, public retirement benefits on the
federal level depend on years of service and the average of the
highest three years of salary.
Apostolou, 50, of Manasquan, said he couldn't comment on his combined
salaries, citing a long-standing Monmouth County policy preventing
judges from speaking with reporters.

As for Murray, he said the salaries he's paid are justified.
Municipal judgeships, for one, differ greatly from other jobs at town
hall, he said.
Municipal judges, he said, are financially compelled to work for
several towns because state conflict-of-interest laws severely limit
what they can do in private practice.

"It would be very difficult for someone to be a judge in one or two
towns because they have to give up so much other (legal) work," he
said. "In the long term, they would be losing money."

Murray said he picks up a private legal case here and there, usually
as a favor for a friend. He said he didn't become a judge to sweeten
his retirement package.
"If I was in private practice, and I was making more, I'm sure I
could make my own pension system," he said. "There are literally
thousands of lawyers in New Jersey that are making more than Judge
Apostolou and me."

Furthermore, municipal judges are on-call at all times, Murray said.
Besides sitting on the bench, they set bail and grant search
warrants, sometimes during the early morning hours, he said.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/hOt0.A/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM