I think it is totally reasonable to make all of that an issue during
the next election.  If Mr. Keady has stepped over the line then call
him on it then.

The issue I have is that I (and apparently others) have contributed
to SUFA based on its objective to stop the mission from coming to
AP.  I did not contribute to a Keady-bashing agenda.  When Paul
speaks representing SUFA my hope as a donor is that he will stick to
the issue of the mission and avoid the peripheral issues that may
reduce his overall support.  His cause is right - stick to that and
he will continue to have the support of the majority of this city.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "steveguyrx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I think Mr. Keady misses the point. He should be clearly aware that
there is an apperance of impropriety for him to attend these
meetings. Clearly, the mayor and other council members know this, and
have not attended the zoning board meeting. As a city council member,
his attendance is inappropriate, even if he does not speak, because
of the fact that the zoning board is supposed to be independent and
not influenced by politics. I have personally observed him
strategizing with those people who are in support of the mission, as
well as the director and staff of the mission. I have attended all
the zoning board meetings, and Mr. Keady is anything but discreet.
At the last meeting he stood up in the middle of testimony, to take
his chair and move it to the other side of the room, so that the
entire board could see him. Keady knows as a politician, that if
there is an apperance of impropriety, it should be avoided. He should
take the lead of the mayor and other city council members an act
appropriately.

> Frank Farrell
> 920 Monroe Avenue

by Mr. Paul Vail regarding the March 20, 2007 Zoning Board Meeting.
Mr. Vail wrote:

>   "Sadly, Councilman Keady once again was present at this zoning
board hearing against the advice of the city attorney."

>   I am not sure where Mr. Vail is getting his information from, but
to be sure that each of you has the facts, I have included below an
email exchange between myself and the City Attorney that I had today
to clarify this matter.

>   March 23, 2007
>

>   Mr. Raffetto,
>

>   In a February 9th email communication you advised the Governing
Body regarding their attendance at the Zoning Board hearings dealing
with the Jersey Shore Rescue Mission.  Based on your communication I
was under the assumption that City Council Members could attend the
hearings, but they simply could not and should not participate (i.e.
give testimony, cross examine witnesses or ask questions of Board
members.)

>   At each of the Zoning Board meetings on this matter I took your
advice and simply observed.  To date, four citizens have questioned
me on this matter and whether my attendance was in fact allowed.  My
concern is that if four citizens were willing to approach me, there
may be others that are unsure about the facts on this matter.  For
the record, can you please answer the following:

>     1.. Did I interpret your February 9th communication correctly,
that City Council Members can attend these hearings but they simply
could not and should not participate (i.e. give testimony, cross
examine witnesses or ask questions of Board members.)?
>     2.. Can you confirm that I placed a telephone call to you on
February 13th to further ensure legal clarity on this matter?
>     3.. Can you confirm that in your voicemail recording that you
left me in response to my call on February 13th that you stated that
I could attend the Zoning Board meeting and observe and that I should
simply not participate?
>     4.. Can you confirm that immediately following the February
13th Zoning Board meeting, we spoke on the telephone and I again
confirmed with you that my attendance at the meeting was not
problematic?
>     5.. Finally, can you please place a telephone call and/or email
Mr. Serpico, the Zoning Board attorney, and ask him to officially
confirm whether or not I actively participated in either the February
13th or March 20th Zoning Board hearings on the Jersey Shore Rescue
Mission and whether or not, in his legal opinion, my attendance at
these meetings as a silent observer is in any way legally
problematic?

>   Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.  I look
forward to hearing back from you.

>   Peace, JWK
>

>   March 23, 2007
>

>   Councilman Keady,

of earlier today regarding the recent hearings before the Zoning
Board of Adjustment on the Market Street Mission project, I can
confirm the following:

>   1.    Yes, I did provide legal advice to all of the Governing
Body members through an e-mail correspondence of Feb. 9, 2007, and
yes, you did interpret my legal advice correctly.

>   2.    Yes, I can confirm your telephone call to me of Feb. 13th,
regarding this matter, as set forth in # 2.

>   3.    Yes, I can confirm your statement set forth in # 3.
>
>   4.    Yes, I can confirm your statement set forth in # 4.

Serpico on the telephone, and he has confirmed that you did not make
any public statements or otherwise actively participate in the
hearings that took place on February 13th or March 20th.  Neither Mr.
Serpico nor I have any problem with your attending the meetings, as a
silent observer only, to merely witness the proceedings, like any
other member of the public.

>   I hope the above sufficiently responds to your inquiries.  Should
you require anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you,

>   Frederick C. Raffetto, Esq.
>

>   Mr. Vail also wrote:
>

>   "The councilman placed himself squarely among the Mission
Supporters, two of whom had to be evicted from council chambers
during the proceedings."

>   For the majority of the meeting I sat on the right side of the
City Council Chambers next to Mr. Tom Pivinski, an Asbury Park
resident and business owner and someone I consider a friend.  To my
knowledge, Mr. Pivinski has not taken a public position on this
matter.  As for those who were evicted from the meeting, Mr. Vail is
referring to Mr. Mitchell Briggs and his two children (one and four
years of age).  Mr. Briggs, who I also consider a friend, was asked
by the Board Chair if he could ask his one-year-old to be quiet (the
child was making noise).  Mr. Briggs was not happy with the request
from the Chair and he expressed that vocally.  He did eventually
leave the chamber with his children after the Chair asked for his
removal by the AP Police Officer in attendance.  While Mr. Briggs was
gathering his things I offered to hold his one-year-old for him and
to watch his children outside if he wished to remain in the Chamber.

>   I imagine that some of you may want to know why I have attended
these Zoning Board Meetings.  That is a fair question.  Here is my
answer.  At some point, this matter may come before the governing
body for final judgment.  Given the fact that this issue is clearly
very sensitive and there are passionate opinions on each side, I
felt/feel it to be my responsibility to hear the testimony and board
comments first hand, rather than just reading the transcripts of the
hearings.  As I am sure all of you would agree, much can be lost in a
transcript in terms of inflection and context.

>   Finally, while some citizens may not agree with the position I
have taken on this matter, I hope that each of you can appreciate my
desire to have the facts, to be as informed as I can, and to openly
and honestly share with you my thoughts and feelings.