--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Hinge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> During the summer months, riding along Ocean Ave from Avon to Belmar
is no fun at all
> because the cars have very little respect or awareness for the
bicyclists.

How about this one?

Eric Ng, 22, December 1, 2006, struck and killed by drunken driver

    * Hudson River bike path, near Clarkson Street, Manhattan
    * The drunk driver rode for over a mile on the no-cars-allowed
Hudson River greenway before striking Eric
    * The driver was arrested and charged with vehicular manslaughter,
reckless endangerment and driving while intoxicated, the authorities
said (New York Times, 12/3/2006)

This is where I ride much of the time. No cars are allowed and he was
still hit by a car.

I still think that with heavy pedestrian traffic a potential, a bike
lane on the bw might be problematic. A dedicated bike lane on Ocean,
with plastic separators at intervals (and painted blue) would go a
long way. But as you know, it is even difficult to keep vehicles out
of bike lanes. The police, at least in NYC, don't enforce it. Delivery
trucks, etc. Notwithstanding I think the fine is $200 plus points.