In a message dated 6/15/2007 11:24:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

No one  is suggesting that people be encouraged to enter the country
illegally.  However, this country, including its government, citizens
and business  leaders, have to stop being two-faced on the immigration
issue. Businesses  are encouraged and permitted to attract illegal
immigrants. While there are  laws the penalize companies for employing
illegals, they are simply a slap  on the wrist. If you really want to
stop it, then throw the employer in  jail instead of fining him.

The father of one of my daughters students  just got deported for being
undocumented. That is the correct term, not  illegal. So now the mother
is stuck here with her many children, all of  whom were born in this
country, without support. BTW, the husband has never  been in trouble
with the law and works.

A century and more ago,  American businesses advertised for workers in
Europe. That is how many of  us came to be. America has an historic
love affair with cheap  labor.

I am not condoning the johns' actions, although I certainly  can
sympathize with some of their likely plights of being in a  strange
country all alone without a mate after working who knows how  many
hours all to send some money home. Prostitution is a problem here  in
AP for other reasons.

The insanity of making it illegal. Will we  never learn?

Ah!  The beauty and courage of thoughtful  comments on complex issues.