In a message dated 6/20/2007 9:51:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

if there's anything that can be learned from  NYC's efforts a decade ago it
is that focusing on quality of life crime with  zero tolerance is the best way
to reduce the more serious  crimes.

I, like many others, witnessed that transformation in NYC in the 90s.   And
was impressed with Guiliani on that front at least.

I also remember some crying, foul fascists tactics at the time.  But I  also
saw the no broken windows philosophy work very close to me.  My school
district started to experience some problems with graffiti and littering around
 the
building.  I saw one of the culprits in action one day emptying his  locker
garbage onto the hallway floor and leaving it there.  I asked him to  pick up
after himself.  Spoiled white kid of professional parents replied  that's was
why we hire janitors.  I insisted, so scowling white boy picks  up his stuff.

Soon after, we got a new superintendent who required that maintenance staff
remove all signs of new graffiti overnight and repair any vandalism soon after
 it was discovered.  If student was caught, he or his parents were  fined.

Also,  each time halls emptied after change of  classes, maintenance people
immediately moved through every hallway and  swept/mopped all litter away so
that at next bell students saw halls clean  again.  (Floors also shined from
some chemical they use in the mops.)

Within months, our building was  basically free of litter.   Students
followed the model and cleaned up after themselves without intimidating
gestapo
tactics.

In my book of anecdotes, zero-tolerance works.  Consistent modeling  works
(along with judicious use of strongly worded warnings and fines.)  I  can't
prove this, but I also noticed a nice improvement in overall attitude  among
the
students.  Pride in their surroundings.  Sounds  Pollyannaish, or Leave it to
Beaver-ish, butI I saw the theory in  practice.

Oh yeah,  one more thing.  Supervisors insisted that teachers  stand outside
their classrooms between periods.  High visibility worked  too.

A liberal for zero tolerance....