In a message dated 6/20/2007 6:34:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Kim Guadagno  - Tough on Illegal Immigration    By Eric Sedler | June  20,
2007
Today, Monmouth County Sheriff Candidate Kim Guadagno  called for
implementing a tough policy that would ensure safer communities by  checking
the
immigration status of anyone already incarcerated in the Monmouth  County Jail
before
the inmate is released.
Such stories always leave me wondering where is the emphasis on another
major cause of the problem:  the people, companies, corporations, et al.  who
employ undocumented workers?

Back in the 80's, I applied to be director of a summer program at  Monmouth
College.  Even though I personally knew many on the staff there, I  was
required to dig up all sorts of documentation to prove I was a U.S.  citizen.
No
exceptions.

At that time, I checked with people I knew who owned a local nursery &
garden center.  They confirmed that they had to comply with strict
requirements
that everyone working there had to have proper documentation  on him at all
times.  Immigration officials would stop by unannounced to  check. At the same
time, the owner of the business had high praise for the work  ethic of the
immigrant workers she employed.

What prompted my asking her was that I overheard her on the phone with a
close friend of hers who wanted her to hire her son as a favor.  After that
call, the business owner confided in me that she lied about having no openings
because she preferred the immigrants (migrant workers?).

What happened to those laws?

And I'm not a nativist.