All the ingredients were here. All you needed was a cook and people to
stay out of the kitchen. I thought I knew what I was doing when I came
here, but had some doubts over the past couple of years. From the Coaster.

ohn Oates, of the famed Hall and Oates rock duo, is moving to Asbury Park.

Oates attended a press conference at The Esperanza's beachfront sales
office with owner Dean Geibel this week to announce that he had
purchased a two bedroom, two bath condominium.

The $675,000 sixth-floor unit is in the south tower and will be ready
in July 2008.

Oates said the purchase just "started to make sense" the more he
thought about and discussed it with Geibel, whom he met through
business associates.

Oates, who was born in New York City but raised in the Philadelphia
area, said he wanted a place where he could stay while performing.

He has family in New Jersey and Philadelphia and said Asbury Park is
the perfect place for them all to get together.

"I have an aunt and uncle in Tenafly and family in Bergenfield. My
parents are in Philadelphia…..I thought it's starting to make a lot of
sense," he said.

The rock `n roller also owns two homes in Colorado.

Hall and Oates, who are known for such hits as "Rich Girl, " Kiss On
My List" and "She's Gone," frequently play Atlantic City and the Count
Basie Theater in Red Bank.

Although he has never played in Asbury Park he is well aware of the
city's place in music history.

"I know of Asbury Park, and the music traditions, Bruce
notwithstanding," he said. "It's a great place to be."

Oates said he and Hall will most likely end up playing in some of the
city's venues.

"We might end up playing in some of these places," he said.

Speaking of the recent refurbishing of the Paramount, Oates said it is
a theater designed for music.

"We are life-long musicians….that's what we care about," he said.
"Darryl (Hall) and I would love to play there."

Oates also said he was attracted to The Esperanza after learning of
the hotel-like amenities that will be available.

"This building will be like living in a hotel," Geibel said.

One of the main high lifestyle amenities will be the "at your service"
feature allowing an owner to call two or three days in advance with a
list of groceries or other items which will be purchased and stocked
in the owner's condominium.

"I like that – I just want to show up, I don't have time to go
shopping," Oates said.

Oates said his wife Aimee will be in charge of picking out the decor
for the bathrooms.

"I'll let her take care of the bathrooms, that's what she cares
about," he said.

The couple have an 11-year-old son Tanner.

Geibel said sales at The Esperanza are going well with almost 50 of
the 224 units already sold.

"And that's just since April," he said.

Prices for the units range from $400,000 to $2.3 million.

Geibel said he expects the north tower to be completed in December of
2008.

Oates said going public with the sale is not a concern.

"My whole life is public, that doesn't bother me," he said.

Geibel said buying into The Esperanza now is a smart move.

"Two years from now they will be way more expensive and old news," he
said.

Geibel also said his company , along with Madison Marquette, plan to
expedite work on the streetscape and may even construct temporary
businesses in the neighborhood which will then be torn down.

"We want to create more of a neighborhood. We'll build some for the
summer and then tear them down," he said.

Geibel also said he expects to be holding another press conference in
a month to announce the sale of a unit to another well known person.