http://www.furia.com/vf/log.cgi?topic=38

Last Post on page.....

You'll be hard-pressed to find the information anywhere on the
Trader Joe's website, but the chain is in fact owned by Karl and
Theo Albrecht. I think last year, Karl weighed in with a net worth
of $20-some billion, good enough for #3 in the world. (Behind that
IKEA guy and Gates, I think.) Theo is on the list as well, but
further down.

They've made most of their money with the Aldi chain of grocery
stores in Europe. With the caveat that I've never set foot in an
Aldi store, they have the reputation of being a Wal-Mart of Europe.
While they do have lower prices, their stores are "junky" (e.g.,
they won't take things out of the packing box, just put the packing
box on the shelf and cut off one side of it. Think Food-4-Less in
the U.S.) and they have poor labor practices in much the same way as
Wal-Mart. Or as bad as you can get in Europe, anyway. Apparently as
a general matter the Albrecht's are good at union breaking.

I find it very amusing that Trader Joe's has become this icon for
left-leaning Bobos when it's almost secretly owned by the Waltons of
Europe.