You don't need to have a discussion with him to judge his political
acumen.  I don't think that is what he was trying to do..prove his
political prowess.  It seems he is simply stating his concern about
some  recent events in our country...is he wrong?

Did illegal wiretapping occur?
Have people been tortured?
Does habeas corpus exist in Guantanamo?
Did voter suppression occur?

Do you have to be a political scientist to ask these questions?

Those are the question the kool-aid drinking radical right don't want
to hear and can never answer.  The real republicans are even waking up.