> I will go with that far, that we do not need kitschy design
elements
> like faux  stone appliqués, however, consider your statement.
HoJo's
> was completely different from what was on the bw when it was
built. It
> was I assume, a complete contrast of style to that that existed.

You are touching on a falicy and flawed logic that is used often to
justify the destruction (re-modeling) of historic buildings.

That being - That the building in question replaced something before
it so it is just evolution to replace the current one with something
else.

This completely ignores the rise of the study of preservation and
the adoption of federal and state policies regarding significant
sites along with the economic benefits derived from them.

Regarding the 5th Avenue pavilion (lets be clear on this - it is not
the HoJo, HoJo was just the tenant. Refering to the HoJo as the
building is what got us into a mess to begin with. The entire
building is significant, not just the 'round part')

Yes it replaced a prior structure at a time when 'modernizing' was
the standard practice (the prior building had no signifigance btw).
Also Preservation sciences were not of age at that time, but over
time the study has matured and the current building is deemed to be
significant for several reasons.

- it is an authentic 'modern' structure of the 'space-age',
- it is dedicated to Arthur Pryor
- it is one of a kind, unique,,
- it is a defining part of Asbury Parks character.

Furthermore the redevelopment plan recognized it as needing to be
preserved and restored. Its specifically list as historically
significant.

Why then, would there be any discussion or entertainment of the idea
to re-model it? The course is obvious - Restore it to as built, add
modern anenities (elevator, etc.) and make it the attraction it
should be.

Werner