Another vote for the train, but drive over to Long Branch to get the
train.  Unless your job is the type that lets you out exactly on
schedule, the transfer at Long Branch to the other train south could
be problematic.  Many more runs just terminate at Long Branch and as
close as it is, it would be much more convenient to just drive there
from Asbury Park.

Best commute I did was the Belford Ferry to Wall St. Get on, 45min and
you get off, no other stops.  It's pricey though and you also have a
longer drive just to get to the ferry station.   Also, if you don't
work close to downtown, it might not save you all that much time by
the time you take subways somewhere else.

I work much more locally now...*knock wood* and the quality of life
difference working 9mins from home vs spending 3+hrs each day purely
travelling can't even be expressed for me.  I hated that commute and
hope it will be a long while before I have to do it again.