out of money to preserve open space, farmland and historic properties, build
new parks and playgrounds for our children, and voluntarily buy out flood-prone
properties.  Despite the important of this issue for the future of New Jersey ,
there are those who will distort, and even lie, about this ballot question.  We
are all here today to set the record straight on Ballot Question #3 and what it
means for New Jersey .

  The Keep It Green coalition has learned that Bogota , New Jersey , Mayor
Steve Lonegan and “Americans for Prosperity” are campaigning against question
#3, the $200 million open space, farmland and historic preservation question on
this November’s ballot.

  “Halloween has come early.  Steve Lonegan is trying to trick the voters with
deliberate lies and falsehoods,” said Jeff Tittel, Director of the New Jersey
Sierra Club.  “The only thing that’s scarier than Steve Lonegan’s lies is New
Jersey losing its open space and farmland programs.”

  The advocates released a fact sheet (attached) exposing and debunking the
myths and untruths Lonegan has been spreading about question #3 including that
it will increase taxes, bring high density housing to New Jersey towns, and
force homeowners to lose their property to eminent domain. In fact, a yes vote
on #3 will prevent overdevelopment, save our threatened open spaces and
farmland, and create playgrounds, green spaces and urban parks for our
children. It in no way will authorize the use of eminent domain by the state
taxes – on the contrary, the state legislature has specifically prohibited use
of funds that will be made available from the approval of question # 3 for
eminent domain by the state.

  “The GSPT has been recognized as not only the largest land preservation
program in the nation but also the most successful,” said Assemblyman John F.
McKeon, a primary bill sponsor.  “Supporting Ballot question #3 will ensure
that New Jersey ’s land preservation efforts will continue uninterrupted. The
Blue Acres component allows willing sellers to voluntarily sell their
properties for permanent preservation while avoiding future insurance costs and
economic hardships. Anyone claiming the contrary is irresponsible and typical
of the extreme right wing antics.”

  “Lonegan’s ads and statements are uninformed at best and knowingly false at
worst,” said David Pringle of the NJ Environmental Federation. “While that
might work in a state less educated, less environmental conscious, and filled
with more ideological zealots than New Jersey, someone positioning himself to
run for Governor should know better, but perhaps his thoughts are elsewhere.”

  “To say a yes vote on question #3 is a vote for eminent domain is nothing
more than a cheap scare tactic. The history of the state preservation programs
demonstrates that the state as the buyer is providing fair value to willing
sellers. The passage of public question #3 will ensure that those market-based
and fair transactions can continue,” said Ed Wengryn of New Jersey Farm Bureau.

  “We've already seen the tremendous benefits these preservation programs bring
to New Jersey 's environment and its people, including tax stabilization. So we
don't need to worry about what will happen if we pass Question # 3 - we need to
worry about what will happen if we don't,” said Alison Mitchell of New Jersey
Conservation Foundation.

  " New Jersey loses over 40 acres each day to development making our remaining
open spaces a precious asset. We must protect and preserve our remaining
natural and historic resources to insure future generations can enjoy a high
quality of life. I am confident that voters will overwhelmingly approve this
question, just as they have approved similar measures dating back to 1961,”
said State Senator Leonard Lance.

  "Ballot question #3 is critical to providing much needed funding to the
Garden State Preservation Trust, which helps to preserve our farms, open space,
and historic landmarks," said Assemblyman Douglas H. Fisher. "I ask the voters
of New Jersey to vote yes on Ballot questions #3 to keep this highly successful
programs running to ensure our land and history are permanently preserved."

  "A yes vote on Ballot Question 3 is a clear no-brainer," said Doug O'Malley,
Environment New Jersey 's Field Director. "The more people know that Ballot
Question #3 will protect open space, the more support it gets."

  “A yes vote is an investment in the future of New Jersey . By voting yes on
Ballot Question #3 on November 6th, New Jersey voters will protect the water we
drink, the air we breathe, and the open space, farmland, and historic sites we
cherish,” said Joanna Wolaver of New Jersey Audubon Society.

  The Keep It Green Campaign is a coalition of over 90 organizations from
throughout the state calling for passage for question #3 in November and f a
larger annual, more permanent source of funding for open space, historic and
farmland preservation, operations, and improvements during this year’s lame
duck legislative session. For more information on the campaign, visit
www.NJKeepItGreen.org.

  ###

  Fact and Fiction about Public Question #3

  1. Fiction: Question #3 sells bonds for money to take property from
homeowners and small businesses for "open space" through Eminent Domain and
will force homeowners near rivers and streams to give up their land to Eminent
Domain. (Source: http://americansforprosperity.org/index.php?id=4004 and the
advertisement on http://taxpayerminute.com/Taxpayer%20Minute%2026.mp3)

  Fact: A Yes Vote on #3 will fund the purchase of flood prone properties by
the state from willing sellers only and explicitly prohibits the use of eminent
domain to do so. In fact, Assembly Bill 4402, which placed question #3 on the
ballot, states the following: “The State shall not utilize the power of eminent
domain in any manner to acquire lands utilizing funds made available pursuant
to the Blue Acres bond program; such lands shall be acquired only from willing
sellers.” In addition, question #3 follows the provisions of the Garden State
Preservation Trust, PL 1999 Chapter 152, which prohibits the use of eminent
domain in state land acquisition.

  New Jersey has experienced three catastrophic floods within the past two
years, injuring people and destroying homes and property.  As a result, there
are many property owners who would like to sell their flood-prone properties to
get out of harm’s way.  By purchasing this land through the Blue Acres program,
the State will not only protects these property owners, but also property
owners downstream by providing safe areas for floodwaters to dissipate. In
addition, the land purchased will provide green spaces and parkland for the
enjoyment of nearby residents.

  2. Fiction: Passage of question #3 will replace the construction of one
family houses with high rise, high density housing and force urbanization on
suburban towns. (Source: advertisement on
http://taxpayerminute.com/Taxpayer%20Minute%2026.mp3)

  Fact: A Yes Vote on #3 will help prevent overdevelopment and save our
threatened open spaces. New Jersey loses over 40 acres of open space a day to
development. By authorizing the state to issue $200 million in general
obligation bonds, the Bond Act would provide much-needed funds to keep New
Jersey ’s open space, farmland and historic preservation programs afloat for
one more year.

  Since 1998 these programs have enabled the State, local governments and
non-profits to acquire over 327,000 acres of parks and open space, numerous
historic sites, and over 160,000 acres of farmland in communities across the
state. Preserving open space and farmland protects existing rural and suburban
homes and prevents the overdevelopment of these areas by halting sprawl.
Passage of #3 will also finance the purchase and improvement of parks, green
spaces and playgrounds in existing urban areas, enhancing the quality of life
for residents.

  3. Fiction: Passage of Public Question #3 will increase your taxes. (Source:
advertisement on http://taxpayerminute.com/Taxpayer%20Minute%2026.mp3)

  Fact: A yes vote on #3 will not impose any new taxes and can be paid for with
existing revenue, and in fact, a yes vote will help stabilize local property
taxes. The Bond Act allows the State Treasurer to issue bonds, which must be
paid back within the next 30 years from existing revenue sources.  Bonding, a
common method for funding land acquisition and capital improvements, is the
most logical and successful way to fund preservation because it takes advantage
of current market values by purchasing land now instead of waiting until it is
too expensive or already lost to development. New Jersey voters have approved
11 bond measures since 1961 dedicating funds for preservation efforts.

  Furthermore, New Jersey loses over 40 acres of open space to develop each
day, resulting in increased property taxes as municipalities fund new schools,
roads and public infrastructure to support this development. According to a
recent report by the Association of New Jersey Environmental Commissions,
studies show that for every $1.00 collected in taxes, residential development
costs between $1.04 and $1.67 in services. These costs are ongoing and
generally increase over time. The acquisition of open space, on the other hand,
requires fewer services and costs taxpayers far less over the long term. These
areas quickly pay for themselves, providing ongoing savings and substantial
environmental and economic benefits to the community, such drinking water
protection, public recreation opportunities, critical wildlife habitat and job
creation through ecotourism.

  In addition, passage of Question #3 will provide matching funds for the
dedicated property taxes collected annually by all 21 counties and over 225
municipalities for open space preservation. With this match from the state,
towns can spend less local money to purchase open space and develop parks,
saving taxpayer dollars.

  For more information, please visit the New Jersey – Keep It Green Campaign
website at www.NJKeepItGreen.org or contact Joanna Wolaver at New Jersey
Audubon Society at 609-392-1181 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]