So, this morning during a dog walk in the park, I came upon a new addition...a
discarded
INTACT hypodermic needle. There are also 3 empty drug bags.
Now I'm really on a mission.
I called the PD, gave my name, and full report. They sent 2 cruisers over, and
I got my
camera and took pics of the things I described.
Upon arrival, the first officer said "Sir, this is Asbury Park, we have a lot
of bad people
wandering around"
Um...Duh.
I described how this is a daily occurence, and something has to change.
I told the officers about how the park is dark at night, and pointed out how
the lights are
broken. They seemed surprised to hear about that. I told them my theory about
how I
believe the lights we're destroyed by kids prompted by the local drug lords.
Then one of the officers said this "We don't have enough officers in the city,
and that's one
of our biggest problems"
So, here we have an officer acknowledging what we already know...our PD needs
help.
They are even asking for it.
One of the officers bagged up the needle. I have pics I'll post here later
today or tomorrow.
I'm going to try and meet with the mayor, and I'm thinking about calling News
12 to see if
they would be interested in doing a story about this.
Anybody else have thoughts on what we should do?
I, for one, won't just be posting here anymore. I'm taking this to a different
level now.
Oh, finally, I ran into a friend who also walks his dog in the park. He
concurred about the
drug bags and other things he sees, and he's sick of it too. So it Calvin
across the street
from the park. My other dog walking friend lamented the loss of the park
benches that
used to exist there, before they were destroyed.
This has got to stop. The whole experience is a microcosm of what's going on in
our city
in general.