Dear Firemen:
Thank you, for your kind words.  I have seen "clients" come into the
Sal. Army, after a fire, disaster, whatever and they are barely
surviving.  I have gone home and brought cash back to the store, a few
times, for cab fare!  I hate to disagree, but most of the people
serviced at the Army, don't live in AP!  They do live in Monmouth
County though, like Long Branch, Freehold, Matawan and the surrounding
area.  Some, are trying to get lost ID restored, from fires and I
don't think they have the strength, to clean a park, they don't use.
At least that's the type of individual that's served there.  A lot of
elderly people, frequent it, too!  Right now, I have 3 bags of
blankets and linens to take around there.  The clients look tired and
haggard, but then you have construction workers who buy work clothing,
etc.  You get all types there.  I used to be a little afraid of them,
(some look really wierd), but you get to know them, after a while.
When I donate items, they are laundered and ready to use.

I met a woman, who apparently was living in a room, until a place
could be found for her.  I found myself helping her to find some basic
household items and telling her how to keep them sanitary.  I don't
realize how much I know, until I converse with them.  I find myself
thanking God, for the life I have and to appreciate, basic niceties, I
enjoy all the time, but know that I could be one of them, too!  Being
in this group, has taught me many things.  In order to be a part of
this community, you have to want to improve, what you already have and
to chip in, when possible.  I personally had never thought of cleaning
up a park, until Jack did it, on a daily basis.  Simple stuff!  Me,
with my far left leanings, move to the right many times, if I feel
like my personal lifestyle is threatened!  I experience many, "Oh God"
moments!  People who are down and out, are usually cynical and don't
think of helping someone else, until their needs are met and they're
usually desperate.  I'm at a loss for words, as to how you get them to
pick up trash, that someone else is responsible for.  As usual, I'm
not responsible for any statements, other than my own.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Sharon, even though I don't know you, you seem like a truly
beautiful and compassionate person.? But, maybe we need to ask the
people who we are donating clothing and food to, to reciprocate and
show some gratitude to by volunteering to help clean up the city, or
volunteer to keep?a watch that the city is safe for all.??I am sure
that if asked for their help, they?would be?willing to do their part
in return.? After receiving food and clothing from the church,
salvation army or other supportive organizations, they should report
back to their distributor as to how they have done their part in
return to make the city a better and safer place to live.? This would
also serve to increase their own value of self worth and pride that
they are doing something in return for everyone's generosity toward them.