Housing bust in Jersey hits cities hardest
Urban residential sales fall 34%, due in part to subprime debacle
Sunday, November 04, 2007
BY JOE MALINCONICO AND ROBERT GEBELOFF
Star-Ledger Staff
New Jersey's five-year housing boom has given way to a market with flat prices and considerably lower sales volume, a Star-Ledger analysis has found.

The new reality has hit hardest in urban areas, where the number of residential sales during the first six months of 2007 is 34 percent lower than volume during the same period in 2006, according to state figures.

Overall, there were nearly 20 percent fewer transactions statewide and the median price was up just 1.5 percent, after double-digit growth each year since 2002.

Experts attribute some of the slump to fallout from the subprime mortgage mess, particularly in urban areas where subprime loans have fueled the housing market in recent years. East Orange, for example, had a 59 percent drop in sales volume, Paterson a 57 percent decrease, Plainfield 46 percent, Elizabeth 41 percent and Newark 37 percent.

"Every upswing has a downswing," said James Hughes, dean of the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University. "And we're in the downswing."

Real estate experts say it was inevitable that the years of double- digit price increases would come to an end. In normal times, real estate grows in value an average of 5 to 8 percent, said Bill Hanley, president of the New Jersey Association of Realtors.

"We expected to see things even out," Hanley said.

Statewide, the median sale price for homes in the first half of this year was $335,000 -- only $5,000 more than in 2006, but still more than double the median price at the beginning of the decade.

In some counties, there was a slight dip in median prices -- 3.3 percent in Morris, 2.7 percent in Somerset and 1.3 percent in Hunterdon. Essex County real estate managed to buck the trend, registering a 10.1 percent rise.

The Star-Ledger's analysis was based on home sales reported to the state Division of Taxation, which monitors real estate values for administrative purposes. The state database contains all home sales, including newly built and existing homes, that officials deem to be made on the open market. Intrafamily transactions, for example, are excluded.

The analysis found 43,179 such sales from January through June of this year -- a far cry from the 62,816 homes sold over the first six months of 2004, during the housing boom's peak. The drop in sales is not from a lack of houses on the market, real estate experts say. New Jersey's inventory of homes for sale reached record levels this year, soaring to more than 72,000 in June, they report.

MAKING ADJUSTMENTS

Real estate brokers say it's a buyer's market. But there are plenty of buyers who have been unable to find a place that matches their needs. Take, for example, Bruce Gaylen of Wayne. He said he has looked at at least 40 two-family houses over the past year. In all but three instances, he didn't make an offer. "I don't understand how they are asking that much for some of these places," said Gaylen, a first-time buyer.

Indeed, some sellers -- especially investors looking for a quick profit -- are still living in the past, experts said, asking for prices as if the market remained as robust as it had been several years ago.

"Those are the houses that are not selling," Hanley said. "But people who have adjusted to the market, their properties are being sold in 60 to 90 days."

Buyers also have become increasingly patient, brokers said, waiting for the market to hit bottom before they pull the trigger.

"Nobody wants to buy something for $500,000 when they think that if they wait a while they can get it for $450,000," said Lawrence Perlaki, a broker at Joseph A. Del Forno Inc., a real estate firm in Jersey City. "Nobody wants to look like a sucker. Everybody wants to say they got a great deal."

Of course, many prospective buyers had no choice but to move slowly into the housing market after the collapse of the subprime mortgage business. It's no longer so easy for many to borrow money to a buy a house.

"The industry has become more rational about how we're lending money," said Michael Borodinsky, assistant vice president for Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. "The industry is scrutinizing borrowers like we should have been before."

News about subprime mortgage foreclosures also has revised people's perception of the housing market, experts said.

"The whole subprime debacle has changed the psychology of the housing market," Hughes said.

Borodinsky said some folks are not even trying to get mortgages because of "an inordinate fear" that financing is not available.

"That's not true," he said. "In some cases, we're still giving 100 financing or zero-down loans. But we're being more careful about whom we're giving them to."

LESS LUSTER

In some pockets of New Jersey, the subprime mortgage collapse has had a negligible impact on the real estate market. Along Jersey City's Gold Coast, the 34-story condominium known as "the A," opens in December with 80 percent of its units sold, said Louis Dubin, president of the Athena Group, the developer. One- bedroom units start around $500,00.

Another Jersey City luxury project -- the Beacon, the massive makeover of the old Jersey City Medical Center -- has sold 90 percent of the 315 units in its first phase, with prices ranging up to $800,000, said George Filopoulos, president of the developer, Metrovest Equities.

"Sixty percent of our customers are from Manhattan," he said. "They're priced out of the city and they come here and their jaws drop when they see what they can get for their money."

Still, there are signs that even the Gold Coast has lost some of its luster. Overall sales volume in the city is about half of what it was in 2004 and 2005, and the 2007 median sales price of $347,000 is only 2 percent more than in 2006.

Perlaki has been selling real estate in the city for more than 30 years, back before it was "even the Bronze Coast." During the peak of the real estate boom, Perlaki said, developers of the luxury housing projects would ignore his inquiries on whether they wanted his help selling their unit.

Now, he said, the developers are holding parties for local Realtors to enlist their help.

"Every day, I get e-mails from them," Perlaki said. "It's crazy."

Joe Malinconico may be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or (973) 392-4230; Robert Gebeloff at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or (973) 392-1753.

© 2007  The Star Ledger
© 2007 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.