Most newspapers are no longer doing subscriptions.  The NYTimes stopped
their special subscription months ago and even the Wall Street Journal
is debating about going all free.

The future of online news is free based on advertising.  The newspaper
companies have known that for years but kept trying to deny that it was
happening.  The Asbury Park Press would be nuts to go subscription.

I still don't understand why every daily and weekly paper still aren't
online right now...