--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "wernerapnj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I saw a note about MM perhaps wanting to have diagonal parking on
> both sides of Ocean Ave to increase the space numbers.
>
> Having thought it through here are my conclusions:
>
> - Just changing to diagonal on the West side, leasving all else the
> same, would be problematic in the reduced space for having 2 way
> traffic and having parked vehicles backing out into traffic.
>
> - Changing to diagonal on the West side and making 2 one way
> northbound travel lanes improves things considerably - one way
> traffic is safer.
>
> - Changing to diagonal on the West side, making 2 one way north
> lanes and reversing the diagonals so that vehicles have to back
into
> the spaces is the best solution - short of ripping up the new curbs
> and infrastructure to restore the original 'Circuit' configuration.
>
> "Reverse Diagonal Parking" is state of the art in design thinking,
> it increases safety substantially due to having a clear view of
> oncoming traffic when exiting a space - eliminates the 'blind-
> backing-out' problem. Much better for cyclists also as it allows
eye
> contact with drivers.
>
> So, who's in ?? We get the Circuit back, increase safety, increase
> the number of spaces and become more cycle friendly. A win all
> around.
>
> Werner

I like the idea about the reverse diagonal parking.... however I just
cant picture many people actually being able to do it. Too many
people simply just dont know how to drive (especially those who
happen to be tourists... cough cough bennys cough cough), let alone
park correctly when they pull into a spot head first... that would
just be a disaster and I'm almost certain its against code to have
street parking that isnt diagonally head-on or parallel.

I feel like the two way street with tighter parking would make it
safer because it would require people to go slower because they need
to watch for cars pulling out.  More than one lane in the same
direction means that one of those lanes is a passing lane (especially
to someone with a heavy foot who gets frustrated at the slow driver
sightseeing or looking for a parking spot).  I dont think the
diagonal parking is too much of a problem. It works in plenty of
shore area towns and old town centers all over the state.  People
just need to pull out slow and drivers need to be courteous and let
people get out of a spot.

As much meaning as the circuit has to Asbury Park, I find it tough to
really see it as something worth saving. Cars driving a certain way
on pavement just doesnt seem like something too big of a deal... the
cars are still there as long as its a street... and they can still go
north too.