Werner,
My perception of AP, in 1968, was that Cookman Ave., WAS the downtown!
 I didn't know where Springwood Ave. was.  I was taken to Steinbach's
to shop.  When I moved here 2 years later, Springwood Av. was burned
out from the riot.  I have to look in the Carter book, to see what
Springwood had, even though I regularly attended Mass at St. Peter
Claver's.  I received ashes yesterday, over at Holy Spirit, (4 blocks
away).  All of my kids sacramental records, have been transferred
there, so I'm signing in as a parishioner.  The old St. Peter's is the
original Mt. Carmel Church, that now sits on Asbury Ave.

Every indicator tells me that Cookman and Main Sts. were the main
drag.  I still miss Steinbach's and the children's store on Cookman
and Bond.  I bought all of my kid's First Communion clothes, my baby's
christening dress, bought most of their shoes at the shoe store next
to a men's store whose name escapes me, (somebody and David's).  I had
heard that Springwood Ave. had a store named Fisch's, but Fische's
moved to where the Foodtown is in Ocean Twp., on Hwy. 35 south.  I
remember when Hwy. 35 had 2 lanes, 1 north and 1 south.  Nahan's is
still in Ocean Twp. where it moved, after the riots.  I could go on,
but what's the point?  Developer's want what they want and the older
residents, who toughed it out through the 70's, 80's and 90's be
damned!  Screw the kids too!  They don't come here with any, so their
question is, "why do my taxes go to the schools"?

Well, families with kids were here before you were, most of the
schools are on the West Side, save Thurgood Marshall's, but it sits on
the site of the old Bond St. School!  The nationalities of the kids
have dramatically been changed, to Mexican/Haitian, from African
American/Caucasians.  Just cross the city line and see how many kids
are in Neptune!  Neptune, also gets the kids from Avon, Bradley Beach
and Neptune City, in the Middle and High School.  Always have, since
I've been here.  You want to live in a resort?  Move to Seaside!
They've taken all of AP's beach business, due to the ineptness of the
authorities, who blamed past administrations, but are no better!
Someone's pulled the wool over their eyes and once the covers are
pulled back, they see what they've given up.  Asbury's "true"
identity.  Gone, forever!

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "wernerapnj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "FleurDeLis" <sharon_b283@>
> wrote:
>
> > Following up:
> > Fake palm trees, painted on buildings, like we had last year,
> > depicting what?  I don't know!  If I wanted to visit Florida, I'd go
>
> Thank You Sharon :-)
>
> Werner

Since I don't know Asbury Park, the way you do, I'd defy anyone to top
you in the "smarts" department.  But who am I?  You know the rest.