Several spots in NYC offer free wireless - most notably Bryant Park
(http://www.bryantpark.org/amenities/wireless.php) and several places
in Central
Park(http://www.centralpark.com/pages/general-info/wireless-access-in-central-park.html).

It really is a draw - LOTS of people with laptops both working and
just surfing - now with iPhones, even more useful. I use both regularly

In the scope of things it is not that costly to implement - especially
considering the value delivered.

Robb