The beaches are also free in one of New Jersey's most populated tourism
areas - Wildwood.

As someone that lives in a beach town, I largely question the beach
fees.  I don't know any towns that offer a discounted beach rate for
those who live in the town and I think that's pretty ridiculous.  The
beach fees are to pay for lifeguards, beach cleanup, and police - mainly
to protect against the offset of visitors from outside the town.   So,
why do residents have to pay the same amount when our taxes are already
helping to pay for such things?