I know EXACTLY what you mean by that Dave.  Credit Reporting is a
giant scam to charge you higher interest rates.

Here's my horror story:

I had a Pitney Bowes postage account.  I would download postage on
credit, $500.00 at a time.  I never made minumum payments.  Always
paid the full $500 so I'd always have plenty of postage.

After a year Pitney calls me:   "Tom you are a great payer.  We want
to reward you and raise your credit limit to $800.00"

"Fine" I say.

Found out later that Pitney Bowes pulled my credit after I said OK
to make sure they really wanted to raise it.  They did raise it.
But the fact that THEY SIMPLY PULLED THE CREDIT REPORT made my score
go down 7 points.

Moral of the story:  I paid on time, and my credit score went down.

I have more but I won't bore you.