> smart as she is.
>
> So who's nasty?

ok tommy this is what i wrote...

"well yeah...thats what i would love to have a more intelligent
conversation about but it seems i am somewhat alone. why are american
citizens so reluctant to dig a little deeper? why so ready to talk
about crumbling cement blocks with a face on it and being out 50 cents?

are most simply what i wrote about in my last tcn piece "American
Plebs"? concerned about issues only when it affects them directly.
in awe of mediocre leadership as long as it pretends to listen to them?

i had forgotten that there is a budget committee. what are they
doing? it seems to me that a citizen committee would have as a
primary goal the education of the citizens. making the budget
accessible to non wonks."

in no way did i assert i was smarter than anyone (are you sure you're
not just pissed cuz i found something to back up the debt thing?)

i said i was alone in wanting a more intelligent and in depth
discussion of the budget.  that could quite possibly make me less
intelligent than anyone here.  did i allow my frustration at the
general lack of citizen involvement come through too much?
definitely, but just as it is annoying to listen to a friend complain
about a destructive relationship again and again, i get frustrated
with all the whining about so many things in this town and see little
genuine dialog, idea sharing and discussion of the leadership on this
board.

 i have been thinking that it could be that people are afraid of going
on the record questioning the leadership...its easy to rail on hank
paulson, but chances are you wouldn't be invited to the Fed Ball
anyway...now the mayors ball??...or maybe people are afraid they will
need a favor from someone someday, or their relative or friend will
take heat etc...or maybe they are afraid they will end up in jail like
werner. if that were the case, it wouldn't be surprising. this is NJ,
thats how politics operate here. its a disease we don't even know we
have. and its Un-American.

yes newbee...it is a strange and wonderful place. your post was a
fresh breeze in a stuffy place...and yes i know there are lots of
lucid exchanges sandpiper, but you must admit that something that
strays too much from the comfort zone is attacked...i haven't been
called so many names since i was a chubby 5th grader. thank god i was
prepared.