--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "wernerapnj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Relocation assistance is only required if the relocation is due to
a governmental act - in
> this case eminent domain condemnation or due to the building being
declared unfit for
> habitation by code officials. Absent that an owner may offer
consideration to facilitate
> vacation of a building.

Alright, but let's say the owner doesn't feel like it. (According to
maubddny's post, the owner of the Jersey didn't feel like fixing his
place up, so clearly not every landlord is driven by altruism). So he
raises the rent to maximize profit, and you've got upward of two
dozen or so law abiding residents out on the street after however
many years of calling the Virginia home. Couldn't that engender some
pretty raw feelings, along with potentially increasing the homeless
population (given the economic climate). Worst case scenario, I
realize, but worth considering, no?

> Going 'Green' would be the decission of the building owner,
certainly it is technically
> possible. (again moot since it is to be torn down)

Obviously I haven't pored through the city's building codes, but
leaving that up to the owner sounds a little 1992. We're not talking
spotted owls here. It's a health issue. Has the city discussed
instituting some requirements in this regard for both building rehab
and new construction?

> Unfortunately the Virginia (and the Jersey) are tied up in the very
poor redevelopment
> deal made with Asbury Partners preventing the current owners from
moving forward.

Well, this whole thread spun off from the Fastlane thread by pointing
out the illicit drug sales going on in the building and wondering
what could be done about it. Does the redevelopment deal prevent the
owners from enforcing the law within their own buildings? Kicking out
residents who are convicted of even a drug misdemeanor? If not, and
they just don't feel like doing anything about it, can't the zoning
authority and/or police department exert some muscle there?

Beyond that, hasn't Partners reneged on the redevelopment deal time
and time again by missing several deadlines? What is keeping the city
from saying "You broke your end of the deal. It's off. Time to go
back to the table." Was there some fine print in there that said
party A could waver on some of the details but party B had to
strictly adhere to ever line in the plan?