I do consider myself lucky, but people in other countries have that
opportunity as well. Do you think people in Canada do not have
opportunities to succeed? France? Belgium? In Costa Rica, I have never
seen so many small business owners making their way quite nicely. What
you describe is not unique to this country any more. Are Canadians
coming over the border in droves to make something of themselves? Are
the Swedes? The Dutch?

Actually, I was in India for a while, and it is a tough place. I loved
certain things about India, but the poverty is very diffcult to
swallow. Anyway, when I got off the plane in Paris and into a cab, I
had that same feeling. I was home. Not bc I ever lived in Paris, but
because I was back in a first world counry. I could brush my teeth
with the water! I could walk around by myself! The whole feel of Paris
was familiar.

Hey, I live here, and it works for me. But, Americans often have this
inflated sense of self worth, like "America is the best country in the
world, everything else sucks!" And, that is just not true. We really
need to take a good look in the mirror and see where we have gone
astray and look to fix it. All countries have their good points and
bad points, including ours.