A wonderful thing that people who love dogs can do is to volunteer at
their local shelter.  I did it in college.  I used to walk the dogs
whenever I could.  I even got to take them out to the park.  It's so
important for dogs to check out the world and interact with other dogs
and people.  It helps them to become more adoptable.  This is really
important, especially for the big guys.  You will fall in love, but if
you go in knowing that this isn't going to be your dog it works.  I
think of it like babies.  I love them, but it's really nice to give
them to their Moms.
http://www.monmouthcountyspca.org/volunteer.htm
Jennifer