--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Was that crime about hate or drugs?

thinking it was a big nasty salad of human ugliness and vulnerability
with hate (fear) mingled in. this sparked a thread on commondreams.org
that made me think about hate crime legislation differently and found
myself thinking a little like a conservative (i think...you can let me
know tommy).

the first thing i jump to is..isn't rape a hate (fear) crime and
hasn't it been for hundreds if not thousands of years? aren't all
violent crimes (and maybe some financial) crimes of hate (fear) or
disdain?

clearly there needs to be discussion about the targeting of anyone
based on race, gender, orientation etc. but i can see how special
legislation is burdensome and may even lead to more anger as it is
perceived as specialness by those already having a challenge with
"otherness".

i have no idea what the right thing is, just wondering.

Here is a link to a talk by steven pinker arguing that we are far less
violent than we have been. 20 minutes but worth it. i encourage you
all to explore TED's site.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/steven_pinker_on_the_myth_of_violence.html