Well, I think there are 2 ways to look at it.
My friends aren't miserable people. Like myself, they work in the design
industry, so they
look at things with a designers eye. So, when they come to visit, and take a
look at the
place that they've heard me touting, and have been reading about, their
opinions tend to
lean toward it being just ok, not amazing. And across the board, everybody I
know can't
stand the shipping containers.
I think that gives their opinion value, because it's an unbiased opinion from
somebody
outside of our community.
I agree that there have been more people visiting this year then previously,
but, it's not
just about visiting, it's about visiting again and again.
And that's where I agree with what my friends are pointing out. High end
retailing on the
boardwalk doesn't really warrent multiple visits, and especially once the
weather gets bad.
Secondly, all of my friends have a connection to AP back to the 60's/70's and
into the 80's,
and they question why MM did away with the bandshell, and why an entire
pavilion in the
middle of the boardwalk is dedicated to MM's offices. To them, and and me, it's
a dead
zone. It's vanity offices for them, but it's not really the appropriate use of
space if you are
trying to attract people. It' just a big, white ugly hulk.
Finally, more then one of my friends laughed at the Farmers Market. This was
touted as
something that the reality didn't even come close too.
So yeah, I take their opinions seriously. They want to see AP succeed just as
much as all of
us do.
The second way to look at things is from our residents point of view.
I've lived in AP for more then 3 years, and I've seen lot's of positive change.
But, in all honesty, when I see what MM created coupled with the acres of empty
space,
and absurdly bright lighting everywhere it makes my heart sink. Is it better?
Yes. Is it as
good as it could be? No way.
Plus, I'm just not willing to slide on my opinion that MM did something
horrible by just
designing the bandshell right out of it's pavilion. I've had the pleasure to
attend quite a
few events there back when it was in use, and it was a fantastic place to see
and hear live
music. I remember a point when Jacko from The Brighton even did some shows up
there,
and there was always a nice crowd.
Now, it's a roof with AC and heating units, and I sincerely believe it's never
going to be
restored, and MM should not be allowed to get away with that.