--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"> Your quote accused conservative of hate and fear mongering.  The
> posts were disprove your point - it's the libs that are unhinged."

No Sir, you said Liberals alway change the subject in a response to a
post I wrote about separating marriage from the state.  I replied
that I wasn't changing a subject, but contributing my own thought on
the topic which had already begun.

I simply replied to you with a question about Conservatives trying to
scare people and stir up anger and hatred by fear mongering.  No one
is shouting to kill McCain or Palin at Obama rallies.

You came back with some angry people threatening a woman who exists
to be the voice of soccer moms everyhwere.  I gave you some very
clear examples and quotes from Republicans on the original topic -
civil rights for gay couples.

I did name the wrong law as the source of the debate DOMA.  These
debates were over the the 2006 Federal Marriage Amendment not the
Defense of Marriage Act.  It is the words stated that are scary.  The
amendment didn't pass.

Other quotes on the same topic:
Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., said he will vote
against the measure on the floor but allowed it to get there in part
to give the GOP the debate party leaders believe will pay off on
Election Day.

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada "The reason for this
debate is to divide our society, to pit one against another.  This is
another one of the presidents efforts to frighten, to distort, to
distract and to confuse America. It is this administration's way of
avoiding the tough, real problems that American citizens are
confronted with each and every day."

"It's politics. It's pandering and it's placating a core
constituency, the evangelicals"  San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom

You wrote "If you are for equalizing gay rights, you have no dog in
this Presidential hunt.  Both candidates said at debate they agree
with one another - neither will equalize the marriage rights (rather
lack thereof) for gays."

The current presidential election?  I didn't bring that up at all.
Still, I knew some have spoken up so here's their own words on the
topic.

>From the VP Debate

Q: Would you support expanding that beyond Alaska to the rest of the
nation?

PALIN: Well, not if it goes closer and closer towards redefining the
traditional definition of marriage between one man and one woman. And
unfortunately that's sometimes where those steps lead. I don't
support defining marriage as anything but between one man and one
woman, and I think through nuances we can go round and round about
what that actually means. I'm being as straight up with Americans as
I can in my non- support for anything but a traditional definition of
marriage.

Q: Let's try to avoid nuance. Do you support gay marriage?

BIDEN: No. We do not support that. That is a decision to be able to
be left to faiths.

PALIN: My answer is the same as his and it is that I do not.

Marriages are an institution of faith and civil unions are an
institution of state.  Sounds like Joe agrees.

That famous executive experience of Palin's was often used to fight
gay civil unions.  Sarah Palin fought Alaska's civil union laws.
Palin said she supported Alaska's decision to amend its Constitution
to ban same-sex marriage. But she used her first veto as governor to
block a bill that would have prohibited the state from granting
health benefits to same-sex partners of public employees. Ms. Palin
said she vetoed the bill because it was unconstitutional, but raised
the possibility of amending the state Constitution so the ban could
pass muster.

Governor Sarah Palin today announced that, per the recent ruling of
the Supreme Court of Alaska, the State of Alaska's regulations are in
effect to begin providing state benefits to same sex partners
beginning January 1, 2007. "The Supreme Court has ordered adoption of
the regulations by the State of Alaska to begin providing benefits
January 1," said Governor Palin. "We have no more judicial options.
We may disagree with the rationale behind the ruling, but our
responsibility is to proceed forward with the law and follow the
Constitution."

In addition to adoption of the regulations, Governor Palin signed
HB4002 today, which calls for a statewide advisory vote, proposed by
the Legislature during its November special session. "I disagree with
the recent court decision because I feel as though Alaskans spoke on
this issue with its overwhelming support for a Constitutional
Amendment in 1998 which defined marriage as between a man and woman.
But the Supreme Court has spoken and the state will abide.

Source: Alaska Governor's Office: Press release 06-012, "Same Sex"
Dec 20, 2006

Palin said she's not out to judge anyone and has good friends who are
gay, but that she supported the 1998 constitutional amendment.
Elected officials can't defy the court when it comes to how rights
are applied, she said, but she would support a ballot question that
would deny benefits to homosexual couples. "I believe that honoring
the family structure is that important," Palin said. She said she
doesn't know if people choose to be gay.

Source: Anchorage Daily News, "Little play," by K. Hopkins Aug 6,
2006

Q: Do you support the Alaska Supreme Court's ruling that spousal
benefits for state employees should be given to same-sex couples?