I had a call to fix my tenant's furnance this am. No heat, but blower
was fine.

I remembered I turned off the pilot on the furnace last May. It's an
newer old unit, but still has a pilot.

I tried to relight it, but realized the pilot wouldn't stay lit. So I
cursed it out while the tenant's two little kids asked me 5,000
questions at 8 am. Ran home got some tools and my cell phone ready to
call someone to fix it.

I took apart the piece where the flame comes out and cleaned it and
stuck it back together. Crossed my fingers it wasn't something
electrical and poof - it worked.

I figure I saved AT LEAST $150 for a service call and for nothing and
about $235 if they came and simply replaced the probably $20 part vs
cleaning it.

But I said save $100.

IF you have an appliance with a pilot (furnace or fireplace) TURN IT
OFF when it gets warmer out. (April/May through September). Newer
units most are electric ignition, so your ok. Even if you on an
extended vacation.

At a halloween party the other night, a former wall st guy was
advising this girl how to hit her mark of saving $8k year towards her
kids schooling.

? do you stop for coffee every day?
a - Yes, spends "about $3" in the morning.
?What about on your way home?
a - Yes, spends "about $3" in the evening.

Math: 4 days week avg spends $6 day = $24 week x 50 = $1200 year.

PS - she has coffee machine at home and coffee supplied by her
employer.

I was in Perkins this morning.

I split an order of p.cakes with someone coffee etc.

Bill was $12.89.

The two women next to us ordered so much food, you'd think there was
a party coming to their table.

My guess is their bill had to be around $30.

So there AP residents and lurkers, look around you and save a few $,
even if you only do it for a week.

You might live longer.